Forum Discussion

Fyzaan
Level 2
7 years ago

Veritas16 /Backup Exec 15

Here is the Issue:

I am using Backup exec 15 (14.2) V-Ray edition and using agentless methodology to take backup of my virtual infrastructure on Hyper-V platform. I am taking backup of virtual machines (11) splitting them in different in jobs with GRT enabled and agent installed on windows machine. I amusing Full backup and Increment strategy to keep 1-3 month data having full every month or every 3 months. I have SQL, SharePoint, Terminal and File Server in my environment. Issue s incremental backup I am receiving for these virtual machines are very high like for SQL 120-150 GB every incremental (Tried disabling and enabling SQL GRT no difference but if I disable file folder GT backup size reduces significantly but restore time increase due to compression but I need file folder GRT for my servers). I tried agent base backup for SQL and result was same despite checking taking SQL backup log after backup job feature enabled or not.

For share point VM size is 80 GB and actual data is 40 GB but incremental is 20-30 GB (only file folder GRT enabled) and same applies to terminal servers like 10 GB incremental and File Server which is also AD is creating 40-50GB incremental.

I thought may be there is some issue with tool and I upgraded it from BE 15 (14.2) to veritas 16 Trial and issue remain same. I hold backups by veritas and used another tool agent base backup and I was wondering hat backup size for full and incremental was very small like for SQL full only 70GB as compare to BE 15/Veritas 400 GB and Incremental 10GB as compare to 150 GB same applies to other servers.

I am wondering should I go for upgrade or simply move away from BE/Veritas as other product is working very fine.

Note: I have virtual infrastructure so I prefer to have VM base backups as it’s easy to manage and recover incase of any issue.

6 Replies

• Hello,

What OS version for Hyper-V [Win 2012, Win 2012R2, Win 2016]?

Can you attach teh job log?

Are Integration services updated on all the VM's?

Are all the agents updates?

Does this happen for specific VM's or all Vm's?

If for specifc VM's then can you share the difference on how these VM's are configured in terms of Disks and other aspects?

Are you using the Faster processing method for Incremental Hyper-V backups Or the original method being called the Standard processing method

Fyzaan
      Level 2

Thank you for your response. PLease see my answers below.

What OS version for Hyper-V [Win 2012, Win 2012R2, Win 2016]?

A: Win 2012R2

Can you attach teh job log?

A: attached

Are Integration services updated on all the VM's?

A: Yes. Integration Services are updated.

Are all the agents updates?

A: Yes. agents are updated.

Does this happen for specific VM's or all Vm's?

A: All VMs.

If for specifc VM's then can you share the difference on how these VM's are configured in terms of Disks and other aspects?

A: I have added hyper-v hosts and taking agent less backups for all machines including all disks no exceptions.

Are you using the Faster processing method for Incremental Hyper-V backups Or the original method being called the Standardprocessing method ?

Previously I was using Faster method and switching it to Standard didn't effect anything except it stopped creating more snapshots that is a big headache with Faster method as it was unable to remove snapshot and running every two hour backup job was creating like hundreds pe rmonth.

Note: I hav tested Veeam backup solution (Backup and replication) and it took backup of 400 GB SQL only in 70 GB and incrementals was few MBs only. I tested other mahcines and they was also very small size and very fast and loow size incrementals.

Faizan

Colin_Weaver

Based on those 3 job logs have you used Windows Explorer to look at the size of data contained in

IMG000709 (The full)

IMG000745 (Incremental)

IMG000749 (Incremental)

Juts in case the job logs are really reporting processed and not actual copied data counts