Forum Discussion

MooNBeaR
Level 3
16 years ago

VSS Snapshot Warning

I get the following exception on every backup when it gets to the system state.  The backup then takes a very long time at this point as well:

==================================

EXCEPTION

Backup- System?State
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\halfinch.sys is not present on the snapshot. VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\inf\oem18.inf is not present on the snapshot.

Thanx!

• See this article:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303664.htm

A workaround that is not mentioned in the article is as follows:

Create a blank text file with the exact same name and location as the files reported to not be in the snapshot. Then the file will exist, and the backup will be happy. As far as I can tell it's a bug in how BE 12.x talks to the VSS service on Server 2008.

6 Replies

• Here's the Backup Set Detail Information:

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Active Directory, Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) or Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) database and transaction logs ntds was successful.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\halfinch.sys is not present on the snapshot. VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\inf\oem18.inf is not present on the snapshot.

I just decided to try something I had found in another post which was as follows:

----------------------------------------

Since this file is not even present in the DRIVERS folder, I went ahead and deleted the pointer from the registry under \HKEYLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles.  You need to modify the permissions of the Key to allow delete, so be careful.

----------------------------------------

Original post at:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be12_general&thread.id=610

I found the entry for the halfinch.sys, but nothing in the registry pointing to oem18.inf - and neither of those files exist on the filesystem.

• Previous solution didn't make any difference...  Still trying to figure this one out.

Also recently tried exluding those 2 (non-existent) files in via the registry FilesNotToBackUp key.  Still made no difference.  If anyone has any other suggestions, that would be fantastic, as I am drawing a blank.

• Display backup selection as a text list. Maybe you can find them there.

• See this article:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303664.htm

A workaround that is not mentioned in the article is as follows:

Create a blank text file with the exact same name and location as the files reported to not be in the snapshot. Then the file will exist, and the backup will be happy. As far as I can tell it's a bug in how BE 12.x talks to the VSS service on Server 2008.

• Thanks CoastalRange!

I have put your solution in place and if all goes well with tonight's backup, I will come back and mark it as the solution.  Such a simple idea and makes perfect sense, but I guess sometimes it's easy to over-think something - so I really appreciate the suggestions...

That article was created October 2008 - looks like they're in no big hurry to fix the issue.  I think this one should be a higher priority, as my backup should maybe take just over an hour, but instead takes around 7-8 hours seemingly because of this.  In my opinion they should get a patch done for this, as I'm not a big fan of bandaid fixes... but that will have to work for now.

• Nice clean backup now with the workaround... Thanks!  Hopefully they fix this issue soon.