Forum Discussion

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5
10 years ago

Windows Agent restart is not must

When I upgrading BE2010 Windows agent to BE15, found when I pushed the windows agent , sometimes the wizard will restart the agent. But if I logon the Windows agent and uninstall BE2010 agent manually , and reinstall BE15 agent, the wizard did not ask me to reboot. So I can manually upgrade BE windows agent without restarting the windows agent? Thanks

• Reboot is not mandatory always, but it is recommended. During an upgrade or a new install, depending upon the configuration changes, 3rd party / system / BE files may get uninstalled or modified and then reboot is required.

Bottom line - Reboot the remote server always after an upgrade or new install. Not mandatory to reboot instantly, but do reboot prior to the first backup.

2 Replies

• Reboot is not mandatory always, but it is recommended. During an upgrade or a new install, depending upon the configuration changes, 3rd party / system / BE files may get uninstalled or modified and then reboot is required.

Bottom line - Reboot the remote server always after an upgrade or new install. Not mandatory to reboot instantly, but do reboot prior to the first backup.

• Couple of other points:

1) Why we prompt for a reboot depends on what components need updating on the server (some of these components being Microsoft shared library files which have their own independent change history and means we cannot in advance predict if a reboot is needed). - This point might mean if the OPs result was from two different servers that the uninstall followed by install is invalid as a suggestion as it still won't work for everyone and he was just lucky.

2) Best practice when installing any software on a server is actually reboot even if it does not tell you that it is needed. The reason for this is if you do something like install 20 different applications over a lengthy time period and then finally reboot the server, if it does not come back online correctly youu may have to troubleshoot against each and every install done and not just the last one.