Forum Discussion

fred2k
Level 4
11 years ago

"Windows could not parse or process the unattended answer file.." after SDR recovery

I am trying to restore a Server 2008 R2 system using Simplified Disaster Recovery.

The recovery seems to go smoothly, but when I restart my machine I get the following error:

Windows could not parse or process the unattended answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

I found these articles:

...but I can't see the options "Use Restore Anywhere" or "Run Windows Mini-setup" in the SDR GUI anywhere so I can't impliment either of these solutions. Am I being blind or were these options only available in earlier versions of Simplified DR Recovery?

I have successfully managed to recover a different Server 2008 R2 system so I know my procedure & hardware are ok.

2 Replies

• Thanks Colin, yes that did the trick.

Still weird that I didn't run into this problem on the other recovery I did (using the same SDR recovery disk and for the same O/S) but hey-ho!