Forum Discussion

manatee
Level 6
9 years ago

NBU has to use "hosts" file?

NBU 7.6.0.3

so i was configuring all my Solaris machines to use my Active Directory DNS server because of ntp client configuration requirements. ntp work done and working fine. name lookups via Active Directory DNS also working fine without me having to always manually update each server's "/etc/hosts" file.

however, today i found that NBU master can't seem to resolve names when done this way. i have to use the old way by entering the client's hostname and ip address in the "/etc/hosts" file. then and only then did the master server able to resolve and find the client.

why is this so? how can we move NBU to the 21st century and make use of a DNS server?

• OK, so now check the system files and make sure it is set to use DNS before local files.

Personally - I have had this same problem before, and since it DOES connect using /etc/hosts, it should not be a networking issue. I just added that one host to /etc/hosts and did not waste any more time on it.

Just a thought - 

Mostly this happens with multi-NIC systems, where traffic comes in one NIC and for some reason, returns via another path. Master definitely sees a difference sending to client-backup and getting a response via client instead. I have had a problem before on a linux box, I had to do this:

Here is the official link describing how to change RHEL6 and RHEL7 to support loose asymmetrical routing:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/53031

20 Replies