Forum Discussion

19 years ago

Windows SBS & Backup Exec 10.0 SBS Sharepoint Backup

Hi my name is Josh Endean. I work for Extech, LLC in Deep River, CT 06417. We are currently running a platform of Windows 2003 Small Business Server and an instance of Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Small Business Server as our backup solution.

We have also purchased licenses for the Advanced Open File Option and the Desktop and Laptop Option. The SBS package of Backup Exec 10.0 is impressive and a great fit for Windows SBS. My question forms around your built in packaged functions of the small business edition.

Included with Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Small Business Server are:

Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option
Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
Agent for Microsoft SQL Server
... among others

My question is based on the Intranet Company web site that is generated with Windows 2003 Small Business Server. Included in 2003 SBS is the companyweb intranet web site which runs off of Microsoft Sharepoint and IIS.

After discussion with a help desk associate at Veritas, I learned that the backup functions of Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows SBS only backs up the SQL database that is associated with the sharepoint site. What is missing is the document library backup that stores all of the crucial information populated by network users.

I need clarification on how to back up the sharepoint document library. Backup Exec 10.0 already backs up SQL and exchange, I am just wondering why this agent / tool is missing from the Small Business Server edition.

Do I need to add an agent for the sharepoint site? No agent is listed under Small Business Edition.

It is crucial that I get clarification on this issue and structure a sound backup strategy as soon as possible. Feel free to contact me at joshendean@extechllc.com or by phone 203-804-0554

Sincerely,

Josh Endean
Senior Network Architect
Extech LLC
490 Industrial Park Road
Deep River, CT 06417
860-526-2610

1 Reply

• Hello,

You can purchase the SharePoint portal agent which enables the backups and restore of sharepoint portal installations connected to a network. For more information on its functionality, refer to chapter P page 1395 in the Backup Exec Administrator's manual for 10.0. You can download its soft copy at the following link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777

In order to get the appropriate licenses, you can contact our sales team at the following link:

http://www.veritas.com/contactus/ContactUsHome.jhtml

Hope that answers your question. In case of further queriesn revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.