Forum Discussion

mli7777
Level 5
11 years ago

Writers keep failing

On the server I have BE 2012 SP2 loaded the backup of itself keeps failing.

I keep getting VSS snapshot unexpected provider errors.

During the backup the writers mentioned below are running fine.   After a reboot they are running fine again.

And two of the writers stop and give a [7] timeout error.

The WMI and System writers.

Symantec says it is a Windows problem?

I found one guy who reinstalled the agent and it fixed it but this is the BE server itself.   I do not see the agent in the add remove programs.   So assuming it does not need to be installed on the server with the BE software on it?

Thanks

Mike

• Hi.  Thanks again for the data!  There appears to be an issue with the System volume (\\?\Volume{54e0d5e2-e244-11e1-ac16-806e6f6e6963}).  The System volume appears to be offline.  The System volume contains the BCD Store, which is a part of the System State ASR component.  Resolving the System State backup failure can be as easy as running a command, however, since I do not know why the system volume is offline the command can ultimately fail.  If the command does succeeds, then the System State backup may succeed.  If the command fails, then the reason for the System volume being offline will require more involved diagnostics that cannot be conducted within the forum.  With that said, when able, please execute the below commands.  If successful, then re-try the previously failing System State backup job.  Please let me know the outcome either way.  Good luck and thank you.

(21)(a)  C:\>DISKPART
    (21)(b)  DISKPART> LIST VOLUME

(21)(c)   DISKPART> SELECT VOLUME 1
    Note, the 100MB Offline volume should now be selected.  Info:”Offline”.

(21)(d)  DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
    Note, ensure that the 100MB Offline volume is selected.  An “*” will appear on the left of the volume.

(21)(e)  DISKPART> ONLINE VOLUME
    Note, a success or failure message should be reported. 

(21)(f)   DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
    Note, confirm that the 100MB Offline volume is now online.  Label:“System Rese”.  Info:”System”.

(21)(g)  DISKPART> EXIT

(22)  C:\>BCDEDIT /ENUM
    Note, if the online command is successful, then the BCD Store should now be successfully enumerated.

20 Replies

• Hi.  Thank you for collecting the requested diagnostic data so quickly!  Some additional diagnostic data is needed from the Backup Exec installation location.  When able, please collect and attached the below files for review.  Thank you. 

(19) C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\{BE000CBE-11FE-4426-9C58-531AA6355FC4} - ASR Writer.xml
    (20) C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\{E8132975-6F93-4464-A53E-1050253AE220} - System Writer.xml
    Note, This is an example location based on the default Backup Exec installation path.  Please substitute with the actual Backup Exec installation path.

• Hi.  Thanks again for the data!  There appears to be an issue with the System volume (\\?\Volume{54e0d5e2-e244-11e1-ac16-806e6f6e6963}).  The System volume appears to be offline.  The System volume contains the BCD Store, which is a part of the System State ASR component.  Resolving the System State backup failure can be as easy as running a command, however, since I do not know why the system volume is offline the command can ultimately fail.  If the command does succeeds, then the System State backup may succeed.  If the command fails, then the reason for the System volume being offline will require more involved diagnostics that cannot be conducted within the forum.  With that said, when able, please execute the below commands.  If successful, then re-try the previously failing System State backup job.  Please let me know the outcome either way.  Good luck and thank you.

(21)(a)  C:\>DISKPART
    (21)(b)  DISKPART> LIST VOLUME

(21)(c)   DISKPART> SELECT VOLUME 1
    Note, the 100MB Offline volume should now be selected.  Info:”Offline”.

(21)(d)  DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
    Note, ensure that the 100MB Offline volume is selected.  An “*” will appear on the left of the volume.

(21)(e)  DISKPART> ONLINE VOLUME
    Note, a success or failure message should be reported. 

(21)(f)   DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
    Note, confirm that the 100MB Offline volume is now online.  Label:“System Rese”.  Info:”System”.

(21)(g)  DISKPART> EXIT

(22)  C:\>BCDEDIT /ENUM
    Note, if the online command is successful, then the BCD Store should now be successfully enumerated.

• Awesome.

Won't be today but will take a shot at the info you gave me probably tomorrow.

Will let you know for sure.

Mike

• Well the volume mounted not problem.

Have the backup running right now.

Will see how it goes.

Thanks

Mike

• You ROCK dude.    :)

Hadn't backed up for months till today. 

Had to add a screen shot.   lol

Any idea why that volume was not mounted ??

Just curious.

Thanks again.

Had a ticket open on this with your partners in crime and they had pointed me to Microsoft.

Had not get that far yet and glad I didn't.

Have a great weekend.

Mike

• I struggled with this problem.

Finally found this article which has fixed it so far (but I have only run one backup job since fixing it, will know more after this weekend).

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136047&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1379106754055

• ??

Hello James

Not sure if you read all the above.

The directions Marcusolini gave me concerning the volume not being mounted fixed my issue.

I did the diskpart commands to remount that drive and like you I have only done one successful backup but having high hopes it is fixed.

But thanks for the info.

Mike

• Great news!   I have no idea why the System volume wasn’t mounted and that is why I wasn’t confident that the manual online command would work.  Please consider marking this post as solved so others with this issue can perform similar self-help diagnostics.  Glad I was able to help.  Thank you for all of your prompt assistance with the diagnostics and resolution!  Have a great weekend as well!

• Hi. Although that technote you have referenced reports the same failure message, the root cause is different than what is occurring in this post.  That technote specifically pertains to Provider selection (not just limited to virtual machine snapshot) for which there may be a couple less intrusive resolutions.  Regardless, it’s good to know that that technote was helpful.