Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Trigger after failed cleanup script

Hi there, I have a system where the cleanup script can fail/timeout and I want to execute another script if this happens. And I was wondering which can be the best way of doing this. In the ver...
    10 years ago

Hi,

Cleanup script(AKA clean entry point) is invoked in different scenarios. There are different state transitions based on success/failure of clean entry point. As you specifically mentioned("I have a system where the cleanup script can fail/timeout"), we will elaborate only failure scenarios of clean entry point.

Scenario # 1

Resource ONLINE --> Resource attempting OFFLINE --> Resource fails to go OFFLINE --> Clean entry point invoked --> Clean entry point fails --> Resource moves to ONLINE|UNABLE TO OFFLINE

Scenario # 2

Resource ONLINE --> Resource unexpectedly went OFFLINE --> Clean entry point invoked --> Clean entry point fails --> If Type:: CleanRetryLimit == 0, clean entry point is retired infinitely --> Till clean entry point succeeds, resource remains ONLINE

Scenario # 3

Resource ONLINE --> Resource unexpectedly went OFFLINE --> Clean entry point invoked --> Clean entry point fails --> If Type:: CleanRetryLimit != 0, clean entry point is retried for CleanRetryLimit times --> If it still fails, resource moves to ONLINE| ADMIN_WAIT

Scenario # 4

Resource OFFLINE --> Resource attempting ONLINE --> Resource fails to go ONLINE --> Clean entry point invoked --> Clean entry point fails --> Resource moves to OFFLINE|ADMIN_WAIT

RESNOTOFF is invoked on the system if a resource in a service group does not go offline even after issuing the offline command to the resource. This event trigger only covers scenario # 1. That you also verifying in your test environment.

As per your description, you are either hitting scenario # 2 or # 3. RESNOTOFF won’t be executed in this scenarios. This is expected behavior. You needn’t worry about scenario # 2. In scenario # 2, clean entry point will be retried infinitely. Eventually, at some of time, clean entry point will succeed. 

For scenarios # 3 and # 4, you can use RESADMINWAIT trigger. RESADMINWAIT trigger is invoked when a resource enters ADMIN_WAIT state.

To cover all possible failure scenarios of clean entry point, you should use RESNOTOFF and RESADMINWAIT triggers.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sunil Y