Forum Discussion

mightman
Level 3
14 years ago

Windows 2008 R2 scoping and SFWHA 5.1 SP2

Has anyone run into possible issues with Windows 2008 R2 scoping and SFWHA 5.1 SP2?  I have a cluster with two cluster resources or two individual Lanman resources (service groups).  The first file share is accessible when you access it via \\LanManA\FileShareA, however the second share, \\LanManB\FileShareB, that I created is not accessible when you map to it via the LANMAN name even if you mount the second cluster resource on another node within the cluster.  Has anyone run across this issue and is there a solution to resolve this problem?

Also, does SFWHA 5.1 SP2 work with the inherent Windows 2008 R2 scoping capabilities? 

• Hi Mightman,

Since SFW-HA supports multiple fileshare service groups, it does not sound like you are encountering a fileshare scoping issue.  I would recommend looking that the Fileshare_A.txt log on the nodes to see if it gives you a reason why the FileShareB resource will not online on the node.

FYI -

SFW-HA 5.1 works with fileshare scoping the same way that Failover Cluster does.  You can disable fileshare scoping by leaving the LanmanResName attribute blank. 

There is a patch in 5.1 SP2 CP1 that will allow you to disable fileshare scoping via other cluster configuration changes.

Thanks,

Wally

6 Replies

• If \\LanManA\FileShareA works on at least 2 nodes and  \\LanManB\FileShareB does not work on these 2 nodes then it sounds like issue may be something differnnet about the way  \\LanManB\FileShareB is configured - can you post your main.cf.  Have you tested each in isolation - i.e test FileShareA when FileShareB is not online anywhere and vice versa (for both nodes).

Mike

• I have tested both in isolation and have reviewed the main.cf, there was no difference between the two service groups.

Will provide main.cf later.

• Hi Mightman,

Since SFW-HA supports multiple fileshare service groups, it does not sound like you are encountering a fileshare scoping issue.  I would recommend looking that the Fileshare_A.txt log on the nodes to see if it gives you a reason why the FileShareB resource will not online on the node.

FYI -

SFW-HA 5.1 works with fileshare scoping the same way that Failover Cluster does.  You can disable fileshare scoping by leaving the LanmanResName attribute blank. 

There is a patch in 5.1 SP2 CP1 that will allow you to disable fileshare scoping via other cluster configuration changes.

Thanks,

Wally

• If issue is not in main.cf then it is probably something different about the DNS or share.  You could try entering LanManB details in LanManA resource and if problem moves with LanManB name, then problem is probably not with VCS.  You could also try connecting to just \\LanManB rather than  \\LanManB\FileShareB to confirm that vitual hostname is the issue, not the share.

Mike

• Thanks for your response Mr. Heim.  It is good to know that I can disable fileshare scoping just by leaving the LanmanResName attribute blank.  That is something I did not know.

I was able to find a typo within my main.cf after reviewing it yet again after I received a few responses from this post.  I then backed off the patch that we received from Symantec support and everything seemed to work as expected. 

Thanks for your response.  I greatly appreciate it.

• After reading you last response, I did review my main.cf one more time and did find a typo there.  I corrected the typo and uninstalled the "patch" provided by Symantec support that looks like it disables fileshare scoping.  Everything looks good now.

I'm not sure why the resources did not fail since there was an obvious typo in the configuration, but its fixed now.  I don't feel too bad about my oversight of the typo because this Symantec support did not catch the typo either.  wink

I want to Thank You for you input.  Greatly appreciated.