Forum Discussion

K_G
Level 6
13 years ago

question?

In Exchange DAG environment; I have 3 exch. and 3 system mailbox. In daily failover and move operation ,all of the system mailboxes goes to 1st node second and third node have just user mbxs -I...
    13 years ago

This is called cross talk. As long as EV has all the exchange servers defined as targets and a system mailbox existed at time of task creation on each of the exchange servers you won't have an issue.

example:

Exch1 has DB1 with User1a & User1b

Exch2 has DB2 with User2a & User2b

Exch 3 is DR

2 EV servers

DAG1 contains DB1 & DAG2 contains DB2. 

Exch1 is primary for Dag1 & copy of DAG2 & Exch2 is primary for DAG2 and copy of DAG1. Exch3 has copies of DAG1 & DAG2.

Setup:

1. Create 3 system mailboxes.  2 in DB1 (sysmbx_exch1 & sysmbx_exch3) & 1 in DB2 (sysmbx_exch2)

Note: Technically you do NOT need a system mailbox for Exch3 but I like to keep servers\sys mailboxes consistent.

2. Create Target\task for Exch1 & Exch2. EV1 = Exch1, EV2=Exch2

3. Fail DAG1 to Exch3

4. Create Target\task for Exch3

5. Fail DAG1 back to Exch1

6. Enable archiving for all four users.

Users 1a & 1b "Home" ev server is EV1

Users 2a & 2vb "Home ev server is EV2

Result: If Exch2 fails to Exch3 (or Exch1) than EV2 will communicate with Users via EV1 task but indexing and archiving stay on EV2.  Performance impact is minor.  If mailboxes are moved permanently than I would recommend moving archiving to corresponding EV server\Vault Store.