Forum Discussion

11 years ago

vxddladm show DMP state as not active

Goodmorning,

I have issue that I can't seem to solve and I'm dire need of assistance.

I have veritas cluster 5.1 running on solaris 10 connected to an 6180 storage array. The array is directly connected to 2 hotsts. (no switch!).

Controller port 1A is connected to host A

controller port 1B is connected to host A

controller port 2A is connected to host B

controller port 2B is connected to host B.

DMP is taking care of the multipathing bit and looks ok, however I see that the state is set to not active:

Output fromt the vxddladm listsupport libname=libvxlsiall.so :

LIB_NAME                                      ASL_VERSION              Min. VXVM version

==========================================================

Libvxlsiall.so                                   vm-5.1.100-rev-1    5.1

The output of the vxdmpadm list dmpEngenio :

Filename:                                       dmpEngenio

APM name:                                     dmpEngenio

APM version:                                   1

Feature :                                          VxVM

VxVM version                                  51

Array Types Supporred:                  A/PF-LSI

Depending Array Types                  A/P

State :                                              Not-Ative

Output from vxdctl mode:

mode : enabled.

Both hosts show the same result state : Not-Active

So my question is : How do I set the state to Active. Bare in mind that this is a full production system so I have make sure that any commands given will not disrupt production. I will schedule downtime in that case.

Can someone assist me?
Many thanks!

Remco

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi,

I believe you are hitting below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74115

The ASL supports this particular array in various modes - A/P-C, A/PF-LSI, A/A. However, the APM would become Active only when the array is configured in A/PF-LSI mode. For the other two modes (A/P-C and A/A), the APM will be marked as Not-Active and the default APMs (dmpaa and dmpap) will be used respectively.

You will need to run vxasldebug to confirm the correct setting of array at this point as per technote.

G

• Hello hari, 

I do not know what is meant with ALUA etc. but I have attached all information from the explorer in the vxvm.zip file. I believe you will find the requested information. 
    Thanks for your assistance.

• The APM would be active only if its required. I think in your case the array is ALUA compliant and hence would be using the generic ALUA APM

Please provide the output of "vxdmpadm listenclosure all". The Engineo APM is required only if the array type in the output matches that of the APM (A/PF-LSI)

• Hello Gaurav,

I wil gather the requested information.

The impact seems to be that I'm getting hunderds of mesages with scsi write errors, so it seems that write commands are going over both paths.

As soon as I have my information, I will let you know, thanks in advance.

• Hi,

ASLs would be set to active automatically . I don't reckon any command specific to set an ASL to "Not active" state ..

Are you sure that this is the ASL in use ? also, is there anything excluded ? paste below output

# vxddladm listexclude all

# vxdmpadm listexclude all

# vxddladm listsupport all

# vxddladm list devices

G