Forum Discussion

BlueBull
Level 4
11 years ago

Backing up EV Closed partitions

Hi, I have a question about EV Backups and Closed partitions. When a partion becomes closed, and the roll-over partion becomes active, all additions during archiving are made to the Active part...
    10 years ago

besides what i outlined in my previous post for you. it pretty much boils down to this:

if you're using options/features that make changes to data in the closed partitions then best practice calls for backing up closed partitions while EV is in backup mode.

if you're not using options/features that make changes to data in closed partitions then you can "get away" with backing them up without putting EV in backup mode.

one side note is something that depends on your backup technology because you don't necessarily need to keep EV in backup mode the entire time the backup is running. some backup technologies can take a VSS snapshot of the system and then backup from the data map stored snapshot which allows you to release EV from backup mode long before the actual backup job completes. (but that's another topic of discussion maybe for a different forum)