Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Drag & Dropped shortcuts

Hi all,

I'm working at a customer of mine who's users have been able to drag & drop shortcuts into other mailboxes for quite a while. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the archived item is deleted the dragged & dropped shortcut becomes orphaned and totally unusable.

Is there a way to determine if a shortcut was dragged & dropped (or copied) and to also "migrate" the archived item to the target archive?

So if user A moves shortcut A to mailbox B the archived data is also put into mailbox B's archive.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

• no. A shortcut is a shortcut. In Outlook, it is simply moving an item around. (like a normal mail/appointment etc)

dragging droppping a shortcut does what it says. If the user receiving the shortcut has access to the originating archive, he can open the item. If not, he either gets a popup for a username/password, and/or an access denied.

And yes, if the archived item is removed, the shortcut becomes orphaned. I am not aware of a tool to determine if a shortcut sits in a mailbox it should not be in, only thing I know is to look at the properties (select the shortcut, press CTRL+SHIFT, click EV Icon, select Vault Information, browse to selected item properties, look at vaultid, use vaultid to find archive shortcut points to)

This might prove an impossible task. You are better of to instruct your users that if they want to share an archived item, either forward it (which retrieves the messages), or retrieve the message, then forward it.

1 Reply

• no. A shortcut is a shortcut. In Outlook, it is simply moving an item around. (like a normal mail/appointment etc)

dragging droppping a shortcut does what it says. If the user receiving the shortcut has access to the originating archive, he can open the item. If not, he either gets a popup for a username/password, and/or an access denied.

And yes, if the archived item is removed, the shortcut becomes orphaned. I am not aware of a tool to determine if a shortcut sits in a mailbox it should not be in, only thing I know is to look at the properties (select the shortcut, press CTRL+SHIFT, click EV Icon, select Vault Information, browse to selected item properties, look at vaultid, use vaultid to find archive shortcut points to)

This might prove an impossible task. You are better of to instruct your users that if they want to share an archived item, either forward it (which retrieves the messages), or retrieve the message, then forward it.