Forum Discussion

dsmith1954
Level 3
13 years ago

Enterprise Vault Expiry and Retention Categories

I just assumed responsibility for our EV installation. I haven't been formally trained, but they are trying to get that approved. In the meantime, our legal dept wants to turn on deletion of files fr...
    13 years ago

According to Symantec...

1. An email is categorized when it goes into the vault, and cannot be easily changed. Retention Categories put a tag on the email and stays that way unless you purchase some kind of third-party software to change tags. Sounds very expensive to me...
    2. Changing Retention Categories is a point-forward solution, so any group that has to change retention policies and has to be put into a different retention category will have multiple retention categories on their email. Makes me wonder how litigation holds are actually handled.
    3. Exchange managed folders (Vault Managed Retention Categories) can only be changed in Exchange. However, see #1 above. Once tagged/categorized, it cannot be easily changed.

If expiry were to be implemented in our current configuration, we'd really clean up the vault, but litigation holds would be a problem. Unless we purchase some third-party software, it looks like we're stuck or at least we're going to have a rough time getting it straightened out.