Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Exchange 2010 Journaling PendingArchive Part

Hi All We have enabled journaling for a customer and we are seeing a large number of PendingArchive Part messages in the outlook profile. EV server is 9.0.3 and it is on a windows server 2008 R2 ...
    13 years ago

So by teh design this is somewhat expected behavior. You need to note the time and date, if the items ever clear, clear slowly, or what the deal is in it. I have not seen anything implying that ... althogh I did review. Keep in mind that cycling the sercives will restart the review process and this is one of those issues that you have to step away from for a while to see it have a positive response.

I have seen Exchange issus causing an issue, I have seen EV communication issues be related, and most recently... cached credential on the EV server relaing to the Journal performance. If you were haivng an issue communicating with the Exch Server, you should also see that manifest in the Archive task and it doing less than expected.

The concurrent connections depends on a lot of env and sizing things... so I would not say there is a best practice outside of default. Keeping it as low as possible has typically been a cheap way to get out of fixing an issue (IMHO) and I would say is less than ideal. This is something that needs to be tuned, monitored, adjusted, and retuned to best suit your systems needs.

Really to have an idea as to what is happening.. A DTrace is needed against the Journal task for ... I would say 15 minutes. You can use Pastepin or attache the log... please dont copy the contents of the trace into the forums... that drives me nuts personally.

In a rare condition, I have seen some third party product (like antivirus on the Exchange server) modify the time stamps on these messages... which in turn causes them to never archive.

I hope this helps. If you have had this resolved (as it has been a while since it was updated) please update the posting with teh resolution or mark the person that helped you as resolving it so that those out here to help can direct their attention to those who need it most.

Many thanks.