Forum Discussion

Rem_y
Level 4
11 years ago

File System Archive retrieval and Shadow Copy

Howdy folks, I have been looking at a problem involving FSA, and the retreival of a .DOC file

The problem includes the variable of Volume Shadow Copy

In short then, a .DOC is archived and a placehodler left in situ. Placeholder is accidentally deleted by user, but to mitigate this, Shadow Copy is being used to provide redundancy

So user recovers Placeholder from Shadow Copy and tried to retrieve item and is faced with the following error:

VSS_0.PNG

Has anyone got any pointers for this one

I can see from Google and the EV compatibiltiy list that VSS is support (EV9 & 10)

I looked at Pass Through Recall, but it was greyed out at the server level and I couldn'ty see anything at the site level

I guess my first question is, do I start troubleshooting this from the Shadow Copy perspective first? If I dTrace, what Task Category should I use - Storage?

• Just to add to the above, when you are trying to recall via a Shadow Copy placeholder you need Pass-Through recall enabled.

Try changing the location of the Pass-Through folder to C:\PassThrough (no spaces), restart the Placeholder service (as a precaution) and try again.

About Pass-Through Recall  -  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO49546

12 Replies