Forum Discussion

10e
Level 3
18 years ago

FSA 7.0 SP1, NetAPP and Visio

Hello all,

I've been trying to find the answer to some strange issues I've seen at a client site.

We currently have the following:

1) Single EV 7.0 SP1 server with PlaceHolder service (same version).
2) NetAPP FAS940 DataONTap 7.0.5 which we are FSA archiving two test directories from.
3) Added the EV Service account to local admins on the Netapp.

I added the Placeholder service, created the FSA archiving task, added the NAS, the volume, the archive points, and started running the task. I am using regular placeholders (not internet shortcuts). The archiving task works just fine, and all the placeholders show up on the NAS CIFS share.

I have a couple of issues though:

1) The placeholder icons always show 0KB regardless of the FileSizeEmulation Registry key on the Ev7 server. I have set it to both 0 and 1, restarted the placeholder service, re-ran the tasks, re-created the placeholders with the FSAutility, and still always they are 0KB.
2) Archived Visio files cannot be opened properly from the full Visio client. The viewer is always able to open the Visio files without issue, but when the full program tries, it pulls up 7,9,11,or 16KB (which the placeholder changes to) and doesn't show me anything. It almost seems like the full archived file is not available, but if I "restore" a previous version, the full file returns.

Additionally, I have torn down the entire FSA set of tasks, policies, and started "from scratch" after restoring the directory from backup. I have also tried excluding Visio's from Content Conversion using the registry key.

I have also added McShield.exe (they use McAfee version 8.0.0) to the "excludedexes" on EV7.

So far nothing has fixed this. Has anyone seen this issue? The only caveat is that the server is running on Windows 2003 SP2, which apparently is not fully supported for EV7.0 Sp1. I plan to launch a DTrace session for retrieval tomorrow morning and see if any other programs are trying to access the files.

Any advice would be very much appreciated before I proceed to open a support call with Symantec.

Regards and thanks,

10e

3 Replies

• Regarding your 0kb issue this is a known issue and is due to the fact that since EV6 SP2 we ctarted to use sparse files and even the latest version of onTap does not support sparse files so that is why you are getting the 0kb file size. Netapp are aware of this and we are waiting for them to support sparse files so this is not symantecs issue.

Regarding your visio file problem I have not personally come across this issue so I would recommend getting a support case open so we can look into it.

When I am in tomorrow I will have a go with a visio file on my test system and see what happens

Cheers...Paul
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression that point number 1 (sparse files with NetApp) was the case, so I don't have an issue with that.

I opened a case with Symantec partner support concerning the Visio issue. What's strange in this case, is that I've watched what happens to the file when Visio retrieves it. The whole file gets retrieved (in fact, just after it was retrieved from the File Vault store, I copied it, and it was intact) but then Visio actually overwrites it on the file system and I get a blank drawing, so this gives me something to go on as well.

Thanks very much,

10e
  • We are having the same exact issue with the Visio documents.  Whenever we retrieve an archived visio, it just shows up as a 10kb-13kb file modified when the file is open.  We also are running Netapp.  Anyone have any further insight on this issue?