Forum Discussion

Rem_y
Level 4
9 years ago

FSAUtility mass recall - File already exists

Morning all, can someone sanity check the following please?

Scenario:

I aim to recall all Files from EV FSA as follows:

fsautility -t -s \\path\path\path -recurse

The restore begins, builds, and tells me I have 50k files Queued For Restore. All fine up to this point. The XML report file then generates, indicating a large number of File Exists entries. I paste these results into an Excel and the File Exists entries total about 43k

So I can see a discrepency between the number of items that are Queued for Restore and the number of items in that XML that are coming back as File Exists 

My question is - what does this mean?

Do I understand correctly that File Exists means EV confronted a Placeholder with the same name, OR an original file with the same name when it initiated the restore?

• yes and that is done with the -f option in fsautility.

for reference from the Utilities.pdf document:

-f forces FSAUtility to restore the files when placeholders or files of the same
    name already exist. The utility first deletes the existing placeholders or files and
    then restores the files.

4 Replies

• "File Exists" is when it finds the Placeholder (which is the same file name as the original file)

• So this is expected behaviour? If I put a File called FileA.doc in a folder and archive it, then a placeholder gets left in its place. Are you saying I have to explicitly tell EV to overwrite the placeholder if it's restoring the archived file back to the original location?

• yes and that is done with the -f option in fsautility.

for reference from the Utilities.pdf document:

-f forces FSAUtility to restore the files when placeholders or files of the same
    name already exist. The utility first deletes the existing placeholders or files and
    then restores the files.