Forum Discussion

EVKydd
Level 4
9 years ago

Journal Archive Oldest/youngest item date NULL

Hi All,

I need to figure out which Journal archives can be deleted by looking at the oldest and youngest item in the archive. When I run the sql query to pull the oldestitemdateUTC and YoungestItemDateUTC it shows as NULL for most of the archives. Is there a way to set this? Using the expiry process isn't an option because we are looking at processing against 3+Billion items.

Running EV 10.0.4 HF3

Any suggestions/solutions are much appreciated!

• it depends on why they show null. off the top of my head, could be a bunch of malformed email in your archive or it could have been an indexing issue in which case the way to fix it would be to repair/reindex.

have you upgraded all your index volumes to 64bit?

have you looked in index manager to see if any have issues?

6 Replies

• give this script a try. it will list all the archives, the oldest item by sent/received date, and oldest item by archived date

SELECT A.ArchiveName, 
           CONVERT(VARCHAR(20), IV.OldestItemDateUTC, 100) "Oldest Sent/Received Date",
           CONVERT(VARCHAR(20), IV.OldestArchivedDateUTC, 100) "Oldest Archived Date"
    FROM   Archive A, IndexVolume IV
    WHERE  IV.RootIdentity = A.RootIdentity
      AND  IV.OldestItemDateUTC IS NOT NULL
    ORDER BY IV.OldestItemDateUTC

• Andrew this is good stuff. Can anything be done about the index volumes to make it so the volumes no longer show as null?

• it depends on why they show null. off the top of my head, could be a bunch of malformed email in your archive or it could have been an indexing issue in which case the way to fix it would be to repair/reindex.

have you upgraded all your index volumes to 64bit?

have you looked in index manager to see if any have issues?

• It might have been that someone has deleted indexlocations of 'really old' archives, to free up diskspace.

(been there)

Only way to get that info is as Andrew says, repair/sync/rebuild those indexes. (which might not be worth the effort)

• Thanks guys.

Confirmed it was the 32bit indexes there were reporting Null. I'm in the process of upgrading them.

• glad the info helped. can you mark the solution so others with the same question know which post helped you find the answer?