Forum Discussion

13 years ago

JournalArchive table question

While reading the requirement to upgrade my system from EV9.0.2 to EV 9.0.3 I read that the size of the JournalArchive table will plays a role in the time to upgrade.

I checked all my tables and noticed that some of them are not empty.So 2 questions

1. Why aren't they empty when index commited =1 AND Backup Complete =1 for all raw.

2. How can I empty them

Thank you for any help

Sandrine

• Sandrine, the JournalArchive table retains archive job history for the number of days set in your site properties on the archive settings tab. It's called transaction history.

You don't want to empty them just ensure you have a backup of the databases pre upgrade.

7 Replies

• Sandrine, the JournalArchive table retains archive job history for the number of days set in your site properties on the archive settings tab. It's called transaction history.

You don't want to empty them just ensure you have a backup of the databases pre upgrade.

• How many items are in the Journalarchive table out of curiosity?

• You may refer the following document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68881

Ideally if the backup are running pine then there should not be much entries in the journal archvie table , so the first thing  i would check would be if the backups are fine. You may also swtich to trigger file mechanisam to clear the entries in the journal archvie table http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67559

, but make sure you have a full backup . and you would also need to investigate why this items have not been post processed.

IF you are using centera for storage you may refer the following hotfix

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144758

• @RahulG - Using the trigger file method will NOT clear the Journal Archive table, it is just a method of telling EV that items have been backed up when the archive attribute can't be used.

As i said the JournalArchive table will retain all the transaction history for that vault store for the number of days set in the site properties.

Centera storage is no different in this, the only difference between Centera and normal storage is centera post processes the item (turns it into a shortcut) as soon as the item has been replicated to the replica rather than wait for the aarchive attribute to change or the trigger file creation as other storage types do.

• one other thing you should check as well is make sure the compatibility mode of your vault store databases isnt set to SQL Server 2000 (80) otherwise the JA table will grow and grow and grow and never clear out

Otherwise as Percy mentioned, the items will hang around for as long as the transaction history is set for on the site properties which by default is 32 days i think, which is used to help with Vault Cache

• Thank you all for your answer.

The fact is my system are configured :" immediately" after archived and as our storage is Centera management decided to don't do backups but I just keep 5 days on the site properties. Thank you now I know it is like this.

Sandrine

• I just saw as JW2  pointed out that my db are in SQL 2005 Compatibility mode. 

1.As I don't have Vault cache implemented is this retention Archive History relevent for me ?

I was setting the retainArchiveHistory time in the archive table to 0 for everybody in one  Vaultstore ( I didn't want to do to much at a time so I tested with one). then I retarted EV on the corresponding Server and it did the job

Thank you for your help