Forum Discussion

EVSpinner
Level 5
10 years ago

PST import - archived by date imported or date email received

Hi there, 

If I import an old pst file into an Exchange 2010 mailbox, which is going to be archived by EV10, will it use the date the email was originally received, or the date from import?

secondly, if I have a policy that deletes emails over 24 months old, will these be deleted immediately or will EV use the date from import?

Thanks guys

• Well EV stores both the sent/received date and the archived date In the Saveset table the idDateTime is the sent received date and makes up part of the SavesetID used for retrievals and stores the archived date in the archived date column As for expiry you have two options: Modified Date (sent date) Or Archived Date So if you have an email sent on 01/01/2010 that was archived on 01/01/2012 with a retention of 7 years By modified date (sent date) the item would expire on 01/01/2017 onward By archived date the item would expire on 01/01/2019 So in your case with a 24 month retention if you imported a bunch of stuff now and did it by modified date (sent date) anything with a sent date on or before 10/16/2012 would expire , so if it's an5 year old PST that was imported it would delete immediately But if you were to go by archived date it would be 10/16/2016 those items would expire
  • If you were to import into the mailbox it would be 20 days before archiving.  I would suggest that you import directly into the archive.  You can determine whether or not you want shortcuts created in the associated mailbox in the import wizard.  Also, if you import directly into the mailbox you will be subject to the mailboxes retention policy rather than being able to control that aspect separately.

5 Replies

• Well EV stores both the sent/received date and the archived date In the Saveset table the idDateTime is the sent received date and makes up part of the SavesetID used for retrievals and stores the archived date in the archived date column As for expiry you have two options: Modified Date (sent date) Or Archived Date So if you have an email sent on 01/01/2010 that was archived on 01/01/2012 with a retention of 7 years By modified date (sent date) the item would expire on 01/01/2017 onward By archived date the item would expire on 01/01/2019 So in your case with a 24 month retention if you imported a bunch of stuff now and did it by modified date (sent date) anything with a sent date on or before 10/16/2012 would expire , so if it's an5 year old PST that was imported it would delete immediately But if you were to go by archived date it would be 10/16/2016 those items would expire
  • I would add one statement, if (as with most environments) you expire based on send/recieve (modified) date rather than archived date and you desire to retain the PST data for a longer period of time I would use a different retention category for the PST migration, one set to expire based on Archive Date.  This setting of modified or archived date used for expiration is a property of each retention category.

• Grateful for your input on this

I understand the retention/expiry principle fully. Thank you for clarifying

Still a little cloudy on the import aspect:

1. Normal email, set to archive after 20 days. Eligibility for archiving is determined by sent/received date. Email hits date and archives

2. Old PST imported into an Exchange mailbox, all emails older than 20 days:

a) mail would all archive immedietley because they exceed 20 days 

b) None would archive until 20 days hence

• If you were to import into the mailbox it would be 20 days before archiving.  I would suggest that you import directly into the archive.  You can determine whether or not you want shortcuts created in the associated mailbox in the import wizard.  Also, if you import directly into the mailbox you will be subject to the mailboxes retention policy rather than being able to control that aspect separately.