Forum Discussion

15 years ago

PSTs that contained ineligible items

Some of the PSTs contained items that were not eligible for archive.
These items have been moved to the associated mailboxes.
See the Help for further information.

I get the above message in the migration report.
What are the ineligible items?
How to solve this problem for successful ingestion?

• what i would suggest make a copy of these PST's before they migrate, then after they've migrated , look at one of the ones that have the alarming numbers
    then create an empty test mailbox and migrate that PST file to that new mailbox, when it completes, it will move the items to the mailbbox, so you should be able to see what has been moved as opposed to archived.

like rob said, would imagine its a Calendar Item, Schedule, Appointment etc that the class hasn't been selected for.

5 Replies

•  When you import the PST, the PST policy has a message classes tab.. only the ticked messages classes are eligible for archiving.  It is likely that you have things like IPM.Appointments in the PST, or deleted items (for example) and these will not be migrated by default.

Hope that helps,
  • Before you import the PST, you can open it in the outlook client and check the items with different Message Class.

How to check the Message class of an item:

> Open Outlook and open the affected PST file.
    > Select any folder under the PST and add the field "Message Class"  by using Field Chooser.
    > Once you have added the Message Class field, sort the items using the same field.
    > You will see different Message Classes like IPM.Note, IPM.Appointment, IPM.Schedule..etc
    > On EV Server, you will need to make sure that these Message classes have been added into the policies applied.
    > For eg. refer this TN to archive Meeting requests
    http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301681.htm
    > Make sure you sync mailboxes after changing the policy.

Regards,
    Arjun Shelke
  • Hi Rob,

Can you confirm if there's anything else to look for? I'm importing customer PSTs but an alarming number of items aren't eligible, e.g.:

Items archived: 28447 (of 29063)
    Items failed archiving: 0
    Items not eligible for archiving because of PST Migration Policy setting: 616

I've just confirmed that in the "PST Migration Policy"  I am accepting the same message classes as the mailbox archiving policy. But I need to be sure that when I import a PST, it won't be skipping items for any other reason than that.

Thanks!

Richard

• Think about deleted items, and unexpired calendar items.... and/or attach a screenshot of your migration message classes tab.
  • what i would suggest make a copy of these PST's before they migrate, then after they've migrated , look at one of the ones that have the alarming numbers
    then create an empty test mailbox and migrate that PST file to that new mailbox, when it completes, it will move the items to the mailbbox, so you should be able to see what has been moved as opposed to archived.

like rob said, would imagine its a Calendar Item, Schedule, Appointment etc that the class hasn't been selected for.