Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Robocopy stubs without inflating them

Hi all

I'm trying copy a large amount of file data. A good amount of these files are archived using Enterprise Vault and I wish to keep the files archived at the target location, and also at the source location (i.e. just copy the stubs over).

I'm currently trying to use robocopy to do this - the /sl switch seems to partially be of use as it copies the stubs but unfortunately also inflates at the source.

Is there a best practice way of doing this?

I've looked into FSAUtility but it only seems useful for working with archived files and not the unarchived files.

Thanking you!

• PHS is te enterprise vault placeholder service , stopping that means no recalls occur

8 Replies

• To copy stubs without inflating them you need FSAUtility

You then use RoboCopy to copy only the NON-Archived files, skipping the stubs.

THere is a whitepaper covering this in more detail

Migrating and Consolidating
    File Servers with Enterprise Vault
    Evan Barrett
    Enterprise Vault Technical Field Enablement

I recently deployed an FSA solution and ran into a number of issues with moving / copying / deleting files and placeholders under archive points.

I summarised my How To and findings in the attached draft document, It has some answers but also raises some questions to which I don not yet have comprehensive answers. So trat this with caution it has not been exhaustively tested, or verified by Symantec.

• There is also some discussion on this in the white paper  "Enterprise Vault Best Practices
    Implementing File System Archiving"

• PHS is te enterprise vault placeholder service , stopping that means no recalls occur