Forum Discussion

total_noob
Level 4
14 years ago

service pack upgrade. Empty msmq?

Im currently planning on upgrading Enterprise Vault from the original release to sp4.

I have the upgrade documentation ready but im wondering about one part of the upgrade process which is emptying the MSMQ queues.

How do i do this?

We have about 750 users. The MSMQ queues are currently on 60 in the A5 queue and 2500 in the EV storage archive queue for exchange.  Also 20 in the restore spool.

Ive read something about setting the archive task in report mode overnight. Will this help?

• reinstall msmq is a really really horrible idea, it might fix it but its shotgun at best
    how big is the MSMQ area at the moment? i mean it is possible that it has gotten above 8GB if journaling is enabled on a queue somewhere

honestly you'd be best dtracing storage archive and then restarting the storage service to see what happens when it attempts to open the queue and process a message

15 Replies

• Clear the solution flag, or maybe start a new thread to get attention to the issue.

If Symantec support have asked you to re-install MSMQ thats where you should probably start  :-)
  • reinstall msmq is a really really horrible idea, it might fix it but its shotgun at best
    how big is the MSMQ area at the moment? i mean it is possible that it has gotten above 8GB if journaling is enabled on a queue somewhere

honestly you'd be best dtracing storage archive and then restarting the storage service to see what happens when it attempts to open the queue and process a message
  • No journaling enablet.

The MSMQ is not above 8gb. Around 800-900mb actually.

I will run a Dtrace and see what happens.