Forum Discussion

BigAnvil
Level 5
13 years ago

Some users cannot drag items into their Virtual Vault

Having a tough time troubleshooting this one.  Running EV 9.0 against Exchange 2007/2010.  I am able to drag items into my Virtual Vault but there are a number of people in our organization who receive the error below when attempting to do the same thing.

"Cannot move the items. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation."

In this specific example, the other user is in the same active directory group as I am with the same EV Mailbox archiving policy applied.  When I check permissions on the other users' archive, the same permissions are present.  So, same policy and same permissions.  This problem has been existed for months, through many EV service restarts and EV server restarts.

It shouldn't make any difference but I am a domain admin but they are not, as is true of all the other users.

I just opened a case with support but thought someone else might have encountered and resolved the same problem.  Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

• Dtracig for the server is useless unless the sync itself is failing All that would help is getting a client trace with virtual vault logging enabled and attempting to drag and drop items, you will then see a line talking about whether infra store moves and copies are allowed which would help you determine whether it's policy that's denying it or not If a ScanOST.exe does not fix it, I have the feeling you will just find the error saying that the MDC file is corrupt

6 Replies

• i've seen this before where teh hidden message hasn't synchronized properly to the OST
    We usually run ScanOST.exe and tell it to automatically repair errors

Other times its that the MDC file is corrupt, caused by AntiVirus scans

• Thanks for the tips.  I added .OST & .MDC as exclusions to Symantec Endpoint Protection for the group containing one of the clients with the problem described above.  I also deleted the Outlook .OST file, and allowed Outlook to re-create the .OST.

The error persists, even after waiting a while.  Tried resynchronizing user mailboxes and restarting, then running the mailbox archiving process - still no love.

• Hello BigAnvil,

What version of Outlook/EV Client are the users having the issue using?

Have you tried doing a full Vault Cache reset on an affected users machine?

-Chris

• Also to confirm - they are dragging and dropping to their OWN Virtual Vault, not a delegate?

And, have you got a client trace from the machine?  It'll show in the Desktop Information exactly what is/isn't allowed in VV.

• Rob,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.  These users are dragging items into their own vault and I've collected a DTRACE from the server per the support agents' request but not from the client.

I'll try to do that in the next day or so and report back.

Thanks!

• Dtracig for the server is useless unless the sync itself is failing All that would help is getting a client trace with virtual vault logging enabled and attempting to drag and drop items, you will then see a line talking about whether infra store moves and copies are allowed which would help you determine whether it's policy that's denying it or not If a ScanOST.exe does not fix it, I have the feeling you will just find the error saying that the MDC file is corrupt