Forum Discussion

Jeanne123
Level 2
11 years ago

Question about Norton Popup "Get your Norton Toolbar back!"?

Operating system is Windows Vista.  (I know, poor me!)

Yesterday I started getting a popup message that states:  "Changes in the latest version of Googl Chrome require re-installing the Norton Toolbar from the Chrome Web Store.  Click "Install Now" to get your full web protection back in your browser."

QUESTION:  Since I don't recall having the Norton Toolbar displayed and the popup looks strange, I am concerned about clicking on it, even to close it.  Is this a legitimate message from Symantec?  It's taking up about 1/4 of my screen and is difficult to work around.

Thank you.

20 Replies

• Please check the Norton community:

http://community.norton.com/

• I GET SAME MESSAGE AS JEANNE123.  I USE WINDOWS 7, FIREFOX AND NORTON 360.  TRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING, AND CAN'T GET MESSAGE OFF,  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT'S MALWARE?

• I have the same message only it won't go away.  I've tried everything on the screen and it won't go away.  Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

• I switched to Chrome about a year ago and have not intentionally upgraded it.  

I do have Norton installed on my pc, however I do not recall ever receiving any popups from Norton, so I checked Norton and the internet to see if I could find anything about this specific issue.  I did see articles about the toolbar disappearing, but not this exact popup message.  I guess the title looked suspicious to me and it seemed like the perfect way to deliver some malware--making it look like you were doing a legitimate re-install.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to help.  Maybe I'll go to the "Chrome Web Store" to see if I can install it from there.  That would make me feel better.  

• Would appear to be legit if you upgraded chrome.

I assume you have norton installed on this system?