Forum Discussion

adamt078
Level 3
11 years ago

Accelerator cant use journal hard linkor reparse point change detected

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/accelerator-cant-use-journal-hard-link-or-reparse-point-change-detected

I have read the article below and having the same issue on my Netbackup 7.5.0.6 environment .  Now sure if this was fixed or if Netbackup can use journal files with EV installed on a netbackup 2012 client after upgrading to 7.6?

Cheers

• As with you last thread I do not believe it can be done

I have checked all 7.6 documentation (including partner inside docs) and there is nothing that relates to this as far as i can see.

The issue is with Windows rather than with NetBackup as the Journal does not document the file types in a suitable manner

Interestingly it would appear that if no files change the change journal can be used for the next backup according to this tech note - which does incidently relate to 7.6: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO87030

Accelerator cannot use the Use Change Journal option if a change corresponds to a hard link or to a reparse point. Note that the change may correspond to any number of files and directories and the NTFS change journal does not track all of them.

No action is required. If no further changes occur to hard links or reparse points, the Use Change Journal option can be used at the next backup.

So this indicates that this typr of file is not tracked by the change journal itself and hence it cannot be used for the backup.

It would only change this behavoir if Microsoft make a change to how the Change Journal works

2 Replies

• That last comment reminded me, 

>> When NetBackup detects a change on reparse points can't use the journal.

I came across this and it doesn't work!

• As with you last thread I do not believe it can be done

I have checked all 7.6 documentation (including partner inside docs) and there is nothing that relates to this as far as i can see.

The issue is with Windows rather than with NetBackup as the Journal does not document the file types in a suitable manner

Interestingly it would appear that if no files change the change journal can be used for the next backup according to this tech note - which does incidently relate to 7.6: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO87030

Accelerator cannot use the Use Change Journal option if a change corresponds to a hard link or to a reparse point. Note that the change may correspond to any number of files and directories and the NTFS change journal does not track all of them.

No action is required. If no further changes occur to hard links or reparse points, the Use Change Journal option can be used at the next backup.

So this indicates that this typr of file is not tracked by the change journal itself and hence it cannot be used for the backup.

It would only change this behavoir if Microsoft make a change to how the Change Journal works