Forum Discussion

Frank_R
Level 3
10 years ago

Adding LTO6 drives to library with LTO4 drives

Hello, Yesterday we added several LTO6 drives to our SL8500 library that has LTO4 drives. After we installed the new drives, I zoned them to one media server, ran the wizard and it discovered a...
    10 years ago

Just need to get clarification on some of your statements:

This morning I added 10 more drives to the library

Probably tapes. Not drives?

... it tries to add the tapes but when it goes to the first of the LTO6 tapes .....

Inventory will add tapes to a robot. Not drives.

LTO4 are HCART3 and the LTO6 are HCART2.

Sure about this?
    NBU defaults is HCART for LTO4 and HCART3 for LTO6

Media Type Mapping for ACS robots can be verified in the Robot Inventory Advanced options in the Media Type Mappings tab.

Please take note of Default and allowable media types in Table 8-10 of NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I 

Important the you know the ACS media types for the LTO4 and LTO6 and then ensure that the mapping in NBU matches the NBU drive density/type.

You also say :

Now I have the original ACS(0) and ACS(2) 

Do you have only one SL8500 library or more than one?

If you have only one, then ACS(2) is wrong. You need to delete the robot and the drives and start again.

The LTO6 drives must be added in NBU to the same ACS(0) robot.

Once we have basic device config right, we will see if the Inventory error for 'media ID not unique in database (34)' still appears and start troubleshooting that.

Managing API type robots in NBU (such as ACSLS) is quite different from direct-attached robots.

Please take your time and read through chapter 10 of NetBackup Device Configuration Guide