Forum Discussion

4 years ago

unable to select and add drives of Quantum tape library

Hello, 

Recently I have installed a new Quantum Scalar i3 tape library with one robot, 3 drives, and 50 slots, I have attached the library configuration images, the problem is when I want to "Define New Storage Devices", Netbackup finds the robot and the drives under it but I am unable to select them and I get this error :

The following robot(s) are enabled but do not have enabled drives configured.

I have tried different drive topology connections  (loop preferred, point to point, loop, and point preferred ).

• Hi Kasra_Hashemi 

I agree with Tousif Please ensure both the changer and drives are visible in the OS before trying any Netbackup configuration.

What I think happened to you, is robot is visible from OS, but not the drives, you can't select tape drives the OS can't see.

Depending on OS, there are low level fibre channel tools from the HBA vendors,  that will allow you to list what the FC HBA can see. If the HBA can't see the tape drives, not will the OS be able to do.

18 Replies

• Hi,

Are you able to see this drive serial number in under that robot?

You can run the below command see if visible under the robot.
    #/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan -changer

Example:

Device Name : "/dev/sg5"
    Passthru Name: "/dev/sg5"
    Volume Header: ""
    Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1
    Inquiry : "STK L700 0104"
    Vendor ID : "STK "
    Product ID : "L700 "
    Product Rev: "0104"
    Serial Number: "XYZZY_A"
    WWN : ""
    WWN Id Type : 0
    Device Identifier: "STK L700 XYZZY_A "
    Device Type : SDT_CHANGER
    NetBackup Robot Type: 8
    Removable : Yes
    Device Supports: SCSI-5
    Number of Drives : 4
    Number of Slots : 39
    Number of Media Access Ports: 4
    Drive 1 Serial Number : "XYZZY_A1"  <--
    Drive 2 Serial Number : "XYZZY_A2"  <--
    Drive 3 Serial Number : "XYZZY_A3"  <---
    Drive 4 Serial Number : "XYZZY_A4"  <--
    Flags : 0x0
    Reason: 0x0

Regards,
    Tousif Naik

• Hi Kasra_Hashemi 

I agree with Tousif Please ensure both the changer and drives are visible in the OS before trying any Netbackup configuration.

What I think happened to you, is robot is visible from OS, but not the drives, you can't select tape drives the OS can't see.

Depending on OS, there are low level fibre channel tools from the HBA vendors,  that will allow you to list what the FC HBA can see. If the HBA can't see the tape drives, not will the OS be able to do.

Kasra_Hashemi
      Level 5

Thanks to Nicolai 

After Changing the HBA and updating the device driver, without any further efforts, I was able to add the new LTO8 ( hcart2) drives and its robot.

I installed the driver by IBM driver utility ( available on their website).

pats_729  thanks for your reply,

but I did not update the device mapping file, Just Installing the driver by IBM utility fixed my issue.

Kasra_Hashemi
      Level 5

Nicolai You are right, there are unknown devices on the server, I am trying to contact the vendor in order to send me a device driver.

mph999
        Level 6

I think there are also issues with the robot config, can you post the output of scan -changer

I suspect the robot will show 0 drives and the serial numbers will not be visible.

• Hello
    You didn’t mentioned what’s the NBU version involved here ?
    Have you tried updating device mapping file on master and media servers ? If not please do it.

For windows —> https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/downloads/update.UPD620485?profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fvam-profile.veritas.com%2FVAMSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D1619330128502wv83aP0yHM562aj8U0n14sphwGnlBgzVpbd5h

For Unix Linux —-> https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/downloads/update.UPD399544

Kasra_Hashemi
      Level 5

pats_729 thanks for the reply,  The NBU version is 8.0

No, I did not, I will update and tell you the result.

Thank you.