Forum Discussion

brad57
Level 3
8 years ago

backup - allocation failed (10) - but enough memory

hi all,

we are experiencing backup failures with  error code 10,but we were monitoring memory usage and it was on average level. problem is only with FS /var which has around 2mil. files. 

UX team says maxdsiz_64bit is at max value. 
******** [root]:/var: >kmtune -q maxdsiz_64bit
Parameter Current Dyn Planned Module Version
==============================================================================
maxdsiz_64bit 4294967296 - 4294967296

Client HP-UX 11.11 64bit virtual has NB version 6.5. Two media servers  HP-UX 11.31 64bit physical. 

From my findings every related topic suggest to free up memory we don't know where to move with this. 

I would appreciate any suggestions. I attached log also,hopefully correctly. Thanks.

19 Replies

• You will see same error if a kernel setting is to low - e.g semaphore.

Please see this tech note - it mention AIX, but cause could be the same:

AIX Client filesystem backup fails with Error Status 10 "allocation failed"

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000023785

That said, 2 mill files in /var is ridiculous, I bet most of those 2 mill files are left over and can be deleted.

brad57
      Level 3

Hi, 

we have tried contact hpux team with this, they replied with:

"there are many parameters in ulimit. , SO which parameter you want set for ulimit?
      For which user id you want to made changes in ulimit?" also "Provided vendor recommedations are for AIX server & not for hpux"

this issue is ongoing for 2 months,we already checked many articles on this issue,thats why I have posted here.

Nicolai

You have to be a bit rude here and tell them its their job to figure that out. Their reply is completly helpless

• Hey

Please try to run ls -la /var |wc -l

does this command end successfully? If not this will be related to OS - revert back to admins of this HPUX machine.

Also please enable bpbkar logging on client end. BTW you are aware that this NBU version is end of life - I assume... time to move forward...

watsons
        Level 6

The bpbkar logs appears to run thru a list of socket special files.. have you tried excluding the dir

/var/opt/dce/rpc/local

from backup and see if that helps?

Another long shot: Check also if /swap or /tmp partition is nearly full. 

brad57
      Level 3

Hi,

thanks for reply. I have already asked ux team to give us number of files under /var. [root]:/var: >find . -type f | wc -l

ls wont work as it doesnt search rekursively I believe. I will update with bpbkar. 

Thanks.