Forum Discussion

NAYAB
Level 4
7 years ago

Backup a VM with disk type RDM

Hi Experts, 

I have a few questions.

I am trying to backup a vm with disk type RDM which is deployed on a ESX may i know how the backup flows ? through Ethernet or FC ?

Two cases

1. Agent Installed directly on Agent &

2. What if i have backup host (ESX or NBU appliance as Backup Host)

Environment:-

Master server 8.0 (VM machine Windows 2016)

Media Server:- NBU 5240 Appliance (MSDP Pool)

Client:- Windows 2016 Hosting SQL (Using RDM type of disks)

Also i would like to know is the restore always happen through ETHERNET ? How can i choose it to run through FC ?

Any inputs on service resilency while deploying a Master on VM ? (What if my VM crashed ) Does the VM clone helps to recover ? If yes , to what state ? 

Thanks

Nayab,

• You cannot perform a VMware type backup with RDM. 

This is a VMware limitation. You will see in VMware GUI that the snapshot is disabled.

The only way to backup a VM with RDM is to install NBU client and backup with relevant OS or DB policy.

6 Replies

• You cannot perform a VMware type backup with RDM. 

This is a VMware limitation. You will see in VMware GUI that the snapshot is disabled.

The only way to backup a VM with RDM is to install NBU client and backup with relevant OS or DB policy.

• Hi 

Also i would like to know is the restore always happen through ETHERNET ? How can i choose it to run through FC ?

yes if it is a VM, restore always happen through ETHERNET. you cannot setup SAN client for a VM unless if you have vHBA but this is not bestpractice

NAYAB
      Level 4

Hi Rahul, 

yes if it is a VM, restore always happen through ETHERNET. you cannot setup SAN client for a VM unless if you have vHBA but this is not bestpractice

But when backup happens through SAN ? why it cannot be vice-versa. I always thought Backup and Restore follows the same flow ? 

Say i am using VADP to backup my VMDK disk and snapshot is taken at vserver level and data is sent to Media server through FC but when i restore why is it not flowing backup using FC ?

Thanks, 

Nayab

• I am trying to backup a vm with disk type RDM which is deployed on a ESX may i know how the backup flows ? through Ethernet or FC ?

-

You could use only agent backup (choose Windows or SQL type, not VMware) - type).

Perhaps for MS SQL (and ony other SQL) would be better, if you use integrated SQL services to backup, and take it into NBU after that, like a file.