Forum Discussion

basurabjs
Level 3
3 years ago

Disk Pool Migration

Hello everybody,

I am splitting my master server with a new media. I have the new media server installed and added to the master. I want to "migrate" a diskpool/STU from my master to the new media. This diskpool is a unit added to the master in unit T:\ . How can i migrate this diskpool?. Mi idea is disconnect this unit from master, connect to media and create a new diskpool, update my STU and change my policies, but i don't know if is the correct procedure.

Regards,

• Hi

My two cents...

1. I would created new MSDP on new media server. 
    2. find all backups residing in old MSDP - using NetBackup Management/Storage/Catalog option - select there duplication
    3. Found images duplicate to new media server - it will be optimized duplication
    4. Once all backup images are there on new MSDP - expire the ones from old MSDP

IMHO simplest way to achieve what you want....

7 Replies

• Hi basurabjs 

My recommendation is to create a new disk pool on the media servers, and let the backups on the master server expire slowly. This way you don't put your existing backups at risks.

You can't move a disk pool from one server to another with simple GUI clicks, it's a manual duplicate and expire task. Netbackup record disk pool ID in the database, if you move a disk pool contents without involving Netbackup you will be in trouble. 

You could in theory move the disk pool on a LUN level and do a disk pool import, but the import is likely going to take days, depending on the number of backups, so I don't recommend going down that path.

There is tech notes on the subject however:

How to import deduplication disk images

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100027610

How to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100017201

basurabjs
      Level 3

OK, It seems that migration of diskpool is not simple. What do you think about basicDisk? Can I change media and path a muve the Lun to the new media?

• Hi

My two cents...

1. I would created new MSDP on new media server. 
    2. find all backups residing in old MSDP - using NetBackup Management/Storage/Catalog option - select there duplication
    3. Found images duplicate to new media server - it will be optimized duplication
    4. Once all backup images are there on new MSDP - expire the ones from old MSDP

IMHO simplest way to achieve what you want....

basurabjs
      Level 3

I am considering your option and I think it is a simple way. No problem to expire primary copy?

quebek

Hello

I see no issue to expire primary copy - just make sure your secondary was for 10000% made :) and go for it.

davidmoline
      Level 6

Hi basurabjs 

If the pool is not Advanced Disk or Basic Disk, then no the article is not applicable. 

To add further, internal to the MSDP configuration is information regarding the name, you cannot simply move the storage volume (or contents) to another media server and expect it to work. There is also the issue ot the media ID of the MSDP device (the @aaaa? value) which the NetBackup catalog references in the backup fragments. 

David