Forum Discussion

Chris_W
Level 4
9 years ago

Backup and BMR status from client side

I need to to find a way to report on BMR backup status per client. 

Is there a command that can be run from the client side (Windows or Linux) that will show BMR status alongside the backup status (either success or failure)? I can't even find a way to do this in OCA for that matter.

Something like a BMR column added to bpclimagelist would be amazing.

# bpclimagelist -client client 1
Backed Up         Expires       Files      KB     C Sched Type      Policy
----------------  ---------- -------- ----------- - --------------- ------------
09/10/2015 20:22  09/25/2015    39596    15118496 N Incr Backup     Linux1
09/09/2015 20:25  09/24/2015    39633    14077344 N Incr Backup     Linux1
09/08/2015 20:07  09/23/2015    39544    14998208 N Incr Backup     Linux1
09/07/2015 20:22  09/22/2015  1745972   183614688 N Full Backup     Linux1

The messiest way I can find is to script bpdbjobs -all_columns into a file and grep for BMRERR and then by elimination you can find your daily BMR successes - I'm not proud of this.

• Not sure if this will help you directly but this is some thing that might be useful.

Every time a BMR enabled backup completes successfully, the BMR database is updated with a new copy of the "current" configuration.  That configuration entry has information about the backup that created it.

So, on the Master Server, you can run this shell script:

#----

for i in `bmrs -o list -res Config | grep "current" | awk ' { print $9 } ' `
    do
    echo "---------------------"
    bmrs -o querytree -res database -table Config -id $i | grep -e "ClientName" -e "CreateTime" -e " Policy = " -e "BscheduleType"
    echo "    "
    done

# ----

The "for in" command will parse out the ConfigID of the configurations in the clients in the BMRDB.  Each time a configuration is added it gets a new number, and the value keeps incrementing. The longer the process goes without a reset of the BMRDB files, the larger that number can get. That in turn causes the BMRDB files to grow.

The output will be four lines of output per client which will look like (sample dummy data):

---------------------
        ClientName = BMR_client
        CreateTime = 1424313933
        Policy = Windows_Clients
        BScheduleType = Daily_Inc

The CreateTime is a ctime value. 
    It gives when the configuration was created on the client and will match up with the backup image ctime.

BMR only remembers the latest version of the client configurations, hence the name "current".

This runs on the Master.  You can run it daily after the backup window closes and save to a file. You can do some spiffy 'diffs' to see what client info changed and what did not.  If the client CreateTime changed, it worked. If not, it did not.

Again, I hope this helps.

• Logged a case with Symantec but the reponse was what I was fearing. 

At present there is no way of doing this, the command below seems to be the only way.

bmrs -o list -res config -client

The egineer's comment is below regarding OCA:

Unfortunately, OpsCenter cannot directly report on a BMR enabled backup.

So... an enchancement has been logged so if you support my cause, please vote :-)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/backup-and-bmr-status-client

12 Replies