Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Backup completed partially

Hello All,   I am facing on partially backup issue. Since yesterday , backup has completing partially. Kindly find the error and suggest the same.   Error bpbrm (pid=8495136) from client ...
    10 years ago

I'm going to go 'Maybe' with this one ...

I would say that a surface error would lead to a read error, but a read error would not necessarily lead to a surface area.

As mentioned above, it is a big assumption to make, that some read area is going to be reported as a surface error.

Or looking at it another way, we don't see surface errors reported for every read error (I'm talking generally here, across all read errors we see ...)  - so I'm thinking that in this case it knows more than has been found so far, which is why I am thinking there might be some scsi sense errors (asc/ ascq) which would be coming from the drive, and would be more accurately be able to suggest there is some surface issue.

The other possibility, of course is that is that I am wrong ....  :0(

10 years ago

In theory a SCSI read error and a read error caused by incorrect formatted data should be different.

So the surface error *may* indicate a SCSI error of some sort, and not a read error caused by invalid data format - e.g. file system corruption.

Is that what you are have in mind in the previous post ?