Forum Discussion

Amaan
Level 6
13 years ago

Backup job is failing with error 24

Hi,

Backup job is failing since long time. Not able to find the root cause of the issue. Need your help:

Master server: NBU ver 7.0.1/ OS Windows 2008 R2

Media server: NBU ver 7.0.1/ OS Windows 2003

Client: NBU ver 7.0.1/ OS Windows 2003.

Policy details have been attached.

Failed job detaisl have been attached.

NIC details: Media server: 100MBs Full / Client: 1GBs Full.

Attached bpbkar log from client and bptm log from media server. Attached logs for two days just in case.

Some more details: Cleint has C:\, D:\, E:\, F:\, G:\ and I:\ drives. We have created (actually been created, not by me) two policies. One is for all drives except E:\ drive, and another one is for E:\ drive and we split the folders in the backup selection. When policy runs it starts 11 streams (child jobs) and 4 of them are failing. Almost allways same folders.

16 Replies

• I found that compression is enabled on the same drive (E:\). is this could cause the issue. if the compression is enabled how netbackup gets the files. does it get them compressed or it will uncompress them first and then sent it to storage?

• When compress in policy attribute checked(say Client Compress feature), compression take part in client host. Client process read data, compress it, and sent it to media server. Media Server just recieve it, and store it into storage. No additional operation take place in Media server.
    Uncompression will take place in client host when you restore data.

• Actually compression was enabled on drive itself. In drive properties, not in netbackup.
  • You do not have 'file read errors'. As can be seen in bpbkar log, you have 'socket write error':

Exception of type [SocketWriteException]
     > tar_tfi::processException:
    An Exception of type [SocketWriteException] has occured at:
      Module: @(#) $Source: src/ncf/tfi/lib/TransporterRemote.cpp,v $ $Revision: 1.51 $ , Function: TransporterRemote::write[2](), Line: 307
      Module: @(#) $Source: src/ncf/tfi/lib/Packer.cpp,v $ $Revision: 1.85 $ , Function: Packer::getBuffer(), Line: 659
      Module: tar_tfi::getBuffer, Function: H:\701\src\cl\clientpc\util\tar_tfi.cpp, Line: 296
      Local Address: [0.0.0.0]:0
      Remote Address: [0.0.0.0]:0
      OS Error: 10054 (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)

You will need bpbrm log on media server as well.

I have seen similar errors resolved when NIC in media server was replaced.