Forum Discussion

nerminator
Level 3
2 years ago

Backup of passive node with script

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me with task at hand. We have 2 custom applications VMs that are in the cluster. We used to backup both of them using VMware backup policy, but during a bac...
    2 years ago

Hello.

first of all, as I remember you can not create a VM snapshot if you share disks. What type of cluster you have?

I think that you have three (actually two) solutions to implement vm backup of the passive node. These are my thoughts. There are not full solution and you have to check them and find how to implement one of them.

• use VMware rest api to put a tag to the inactive node and create a VIP policy with filter to backup the VM with the right tag.
      you can create a script on the client to change the tag every time the cluster service change node. I think that this is the most robust solution
    • you can create a standard policy without backup window at the schedules and add manually the two VMs,  and create a script on both nodes that will run with crontab.
      The script will check if this is the inactive node and will run a manual backup of the correct VM.
      You can start the manual backup using netbackup rest api or by running the following command on the client (you have to add the client to the servers list of the master server)
      bpbackup -i -p <policy> -s <schedule> -h <client_name>
    • if the clients and the master server are linux systems you can trust each other and create the txt to the master server. Then you can have a script on the master server to start your backup. This is not the way I like as if someone penetrate to one of the systems will have access to the others.