Forum Discussion

mad_jock
Level 3
10 years ago

backup to disk write issues

Hello I'm new to netbackup after 5 years with HP Data Protector and I have some real concerns about write to disk performance.

It appears that we have queues waiting for the block to empty so we can write to disk.

we dont use SQL agents our DBA's want to do flat file backups which was a problem for HP and i was wondering if this could be the same issue where netbackup doesnt like millions of 10k files or 400gb + flatfile backups

could someone give me any idea where i should look to find out if this is the case 

Many Thanks in advance

• write_data: waited for full buffer 388 times, delayed 1457 times

From my experience, the above, if it is a backup job, does not look too bad. But the bottleneck should be on client read I/O or network between media server and client. 

If writing to disk is slower than it reads from client, you should see a higher delay of "waited for empty buffer", not the "full buffer". 

Anyway,, you said the media server is Netbackup Appliance 5220, but what version (2.5.x or 2.6.x)?  It is better you start generating a DataCollect for Netbackup Support team to review, have them pointed out if there is any hardware problems that could degrade the performance. 

Netbackup Appliance does come with a tool to check disk I/O using nbperfchk:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO101014

The above technote is for your reference, do not simply change the setting unless you have confirmation from Support team.

12 Replies