Forum Discussion

oughck
Level 4
14 years ago

BMR restore from a sun4u to sun4v architecture

Hi All,

I have a setup of nbu6.5.6 win2k3 and all necessary components are also updated to 6.5.6.
Is it possible to BMR restore a backup of a Solaris 9 sun4u box  to a sun4v box?

Thanks!
ck

• Mandar? I am no BMR expert but different architechture?
    The TN says the following:
    The basic premise of a BMR restore of a UNIX server is that the image backed up by the source server will be restored to the target hardware.  As such, the image file used for the restore and the hardware system being restored to must be completely compatible.

This statement (IMHO) disqualifies different architecture restore...

3 Replies

• Mandar? I am no BMR expert but different architechture?
    The TN says the following:
    The basic premise of a BMR restore of a UNIX server is that the image backed up by the source server will be restored to the target hardware.  As such, the image file used for the restore and the hardware system being restored to must be completely compatible.

This statement (IMHO) disqualifies different architecture restore...
  • Hi Marianne,

This is a very good question.
    Actually thats what we call it as a dissimilar system resource. This is possible to do only when the original operating system can support working on that new hardware by adding/configuring some hardware specific drivers and doing configuration related to that drivers or configuring kernel for destination hardware type.
    In this case the OS is sun-sparc which works on both sun4u and sun4v hardware. If we do the required tweaking on original backed up OS (which is sun4u based) then we can make it working on sun4v hardware. Again sparc kernel is configured differently for sun4u and sun4v. This kernel configuration need to be handled along with some drivers configuration while doing BMR Restore on sun4v.

Another example is, we can not restore hp-ia on hp-pa as those binaries itself are not supported on pa hardware.

Again, this above sparc DSR is possible from technical point of view. This sun4u to sun4v UNIX DSR case has not been qualified so far (In short UNIX DSR itself has not been verified officially but many BMR customers do that following the technote I have mentioend above.).

Thanks.
    -Mandar