Forum Discussion

13 years ago

bp.conf entries

I have been a netbackup enterprise server user form many many years (since about 3.1).  I have always ran my media and master servers on the same server.  Today I have split my master server off by i...
    13 years ago

SERVER bp.conf entry for UNIX servers

The first SERVER entry in the bp.conf file must point to the master server where

the bp.conf entry resides. During installation, SERVER is automatically set to the

name of the system where the NetBackup master server software is installed.

Table 3-107 SERVER information

Usage Description

Where to use On a UNIX master server.

Table 3-107 SERVER information (continued)

Usage Description

The SERVER option must be present in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file

on all NetBackup UNIX servers and clients. It is the only required entry in the bp.conf

file. This option is not used in $HOME/bp.conf files on a client.

Note: This topic discusses the bp.conf entries on the server. However, note that

every SERVER entry in a client bp.conf file must be a NetBackup master or media

server. That is, each system that is listed as a SERVER must have either NetBackup

master or media server software installed. The client service on some clients cannot

be started if the client name is incorrectly listed as a server.

If you configure NetBackup media servers for a master server, the bp.conf file on

the master server must have a SERVER entry or MEDIA_SERVER entry for each. As

previously mentioned, the first SERVER entry in the list designates the master server

itself. The SERVER entry or the MEDIA_SERVER entries should be added after the

first, self-referencing entry.

A NetBackup master server can be backed up as a NetBackup client by the servers

that belong to another cluster. In that case the bp.conf file on the master server

should have SERVER entries for those servers as well.