Forum Discussion

FujSOL
Level 4
13 years ago

bpbackup -w option

Hello All

I am trying to understand the bpbackup parameter "-w"  a little bit better.  At what point does the command return to the command line?

Is it the point at which the backup completes or when the backup actually commences?

In addition, does the [hh:mm:ss] option mean that after a predefined period of time the command exits to return to the command line even when the backup is still continuing?

Many thanks

FujSol

• No - it just relates to the backup, not the SLP

The backup is considered complete once its job finishes - although controlled by the SLP it will not be aware of the duplication process

4 Replies

• The -w makes the command wait until it gets the final status of the backup (so when fully completed)

The hh:mm:ss sets a maximum time to wait before returning to the command line, even if the backup is still running (if it finishes prior to that time it will return to the command line at that point)

Hope this helps

• Thanks Mark

So therefore

If the bpbackup script calls a netbackup policy which has a SLP that directs backups to local disk storage, then to a tape library and then to a remote NetBackup server using AIR,  >>>>

Am i correct in saying i wont receive a "fully completed" until the data has been duplicated on the remote NetBackup server.?

FujSol

• No - it just relates to the backup, not the SLP

The backup is considered complete once its job finishes - although controlled by the SLP it will not be aware of the duplication process