Forum Discussion

Glo
Level 4
13 years ago

Can SYMCquiesce and NetBackup for VMware 7.x keep database files consistent?

Hello All,

I'm looking at documentation for SYMCquiesce and NetBackup for VMware 7.x. I'd like to use them to back up an entire Linux VM that is running a database. The SYMCquiesce documentation implies that I can rely on the lack of disk writes to keep my database files and transaction logs consistent during the snapshot. Is that true, or should I continue to minimize disk activity before the snapshot?

Thanks,

Glo

• It should do just that for you - you just have to remember that it requires a total restore rather than just parts so that may not be what you require for a database

If that is the case use the normal VM method and back the database up using the NBU agent to capture logs, checkpoints or what ever else you actually need from that database backup

hope this helps

2 Replies

• It should do just that for you - you just have to remember that it requires a total restore rather than just parts so that may not be what you require for a database

If that is the case use the normal VM method and back the database up using the NBU agent to capture logs, checkpoints or what ever else you actually need from that database backup

hope this helps

• You can add your own commands just before and after snapshot. You can use vmware tools scripts called:

/usr/sbin/pre-freeze-script

/usr/sbin/post-thaw-script

SYMCquiesce executable (command called "freeze") is added to pre-freeze-script. You can add there command to put your database in backup mode etc..

marekk