Forum Discussion

schrammd
Level 5
13 years ago

Catalog recovery is in progress. Please wait...for hours

Trying to recover the entire catalog from a online backup and DR file to a DR box for hardware and OS refresh before eventually moving to 7.x.

Old box is master/media server Server 2003 x64 and was 6.5.4 but patched to 6.5.6 to allow for migration to newer machine.

New box is Server 2008 Ent.R2 SP1 x64 and running 6.5.6 with just local disks.

Nothing seems to be occuring, no IO and nothing on the CPU. Have VERBOSE line in vm.conf and bpdm log shows nothing of interest. bprecover -wizard from cmd line works but once it gets to the please wait part - it never has completed. Catalog backup is about 4GB so it shouldn't take that long.

Basically I took the full backup images from the local disk on the old master copied them to a local disk on the new box, and edited the DR file to have the right path to the files.

Any body have any ideas?

thanks!

thanks

• Ok, progress. First off, Marianne- your picture reminds me of my mother-in-law and I feel like I'm at a family function here ;(.

Anyhow- the issue is not with tape, as I said, catalog backups were going to SAN disk except those vaulted on tape. What I discovered after some amount of cursing, was that in the activity monitor the "problem" was actually right there in plain clothes but since I was doing the recover from cmd line - who would have known.

Even though the DR file was edited to tell it where to look for the images, the recovery apparently needs the identical storage unit which the original catalog backup was made on existing on the new hardware. So, I took a SAN snapshot of the source LUN, gave it to the new box, mounted it, and voila- I can recover the DB in a jiffy. How cool is that.

Thanks folks for your suggestions. Oh - and for those with enquiring minds 6.5.6 DOES run on 2008R2SP1 just fine thank you. On to the 7.x upgrades....yeeee haw

11 Replies