Forum Discussion

issmag
Level 5
10 years ago

change a backupid retention

hi,

i can't change an expire date for a backup ID.

when i typed the command : bpexpdate -backupid backupid_11111111111 -d 12/12/2104, the command passed,

but when i check with bpimagelist -U -backupid backupid_11111111111 i find that the expire date does'nt change !!

i tried to duplicate this image to a tape and give it a time until december, but i can't, i got the error message :  it is a life cycle image that cannot be manually duplicate.

could you help me please ?

the Master server is Windows 2008 R2.

netbackup entreprise 7.5.0.5

this backup passed on a DataDomain.

thanks in advance !

• You should ALWAYS use bpexpdate -recalculate with a new retetion level or with a new expiration date.

In NetBackup 7.5, if 'bpexpdate -recalculate' is invoked from the command line without the '-d' or '-ret' option, incorrect expiration dates for images may be recalculated, which may lead to early expiration of those images.
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188688 

12 Replies

• Don't think this is the problem.  That issue is fixed in 7.5.0.3 - the user is at 7.5.0.5

But I think we can conclude that backup image is lost and that is why bpexpdate must be used with caution.

• We have seen in the past that installations are not always at the patch level that the user thought it was.
    we have also seen in the past that bugs come back that was previously fixed.

Moral of the story to take a lesson from this experience:

Never use bpexpdate -recalculate without a new date or a new retention level...

Yes, use with CAUTION!