Forum Discussion

11 years ago

complete recovery of windows server - couple of doubts

Hi,

I'm attempting a full system restore of a windows 2008 server (client A) to another windows 2008 server (client B). I'm following the below mentioned Technote as a reference. However I have couple of questions.

1. While restoring should I be selecting "Restore everything to its original location" & "overwrite existing files" in the restore "general" option menu with client B selected as the Destination client

2. Assuming I would be overwriting the data on the destination server (client B) drives and most likely the netbackup installation folder. If needed will I be able to retry the restore second time if its fails midway or completes with status code1.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

Netbackup Master & Media server - Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise - Netbackup 7.5.0.6

Thanks

• Are these servers using the same hadware (RAID, network etc.) because if not the restore probably will not work and the server will be unbootable - usually for such a restore you should use BMR when possible

If they are identical then yes, select original location and overwrite as the system state / shadowcopy components will also have to be overwritten

Once carried out it will need a reboot to apply all of the new files but it is possible that if it fails very late on it could become unstable and unusable and you would have to start again with a fresh build

11 Replies