Forum Discussion

giri_b
Level 4
13 years ago

Configuration of Netbackup FlashBackup Windows option

Hi,

I would like to configure Flashbackup based backup in one of our clients. I understand that this is a type of raw partition backup with the ability to restore individual files. I would like to take backup of the E: partition. The total size of the partition is 838 GB while data size is 418 GB. I would like to whether this will occupy 838 GB in the Tape or Just 420 GB.

• It will backup the entire volume at block level - so 838GB backups - but at high speed

No way to skip white space

The answer may be to virtualise it and have the 838GB drive as a vmdk file and then use vSphere which will be as fast or faster (over the SAN) but will skip white space and deleted file if you wish

Hope this helps

4 Replies

• It will backup the entire volume at block level - so 838GB backups - but at high speed

No way to skip white space

The answer may be to virtualise it and have the 838GB drive as a vmdk file and then use vSphere which will be as fast or faster (over the SAN) but will skip white space and deleted file if you wish

Hope this helps

• I created a 1TB volume with millions of small files that filled up about 95% of the 1TB.  With a standard backup, in 19 hours I had 219GB written to tape.  With Flashbackup configured on the same volume, I backed up the entire 1TB in 14 hours.  The test were run to a SAN Media Server which made them faster in itself.  But if your 838GB volume has 418GB of large files, maybe database backups, then you might not benefit from Flashbackups.

• The Drive has got around 3 million pdf files and it takes around 12 hours to complete.

• Flash Backup shoould be OK for you then - be sure to follow theguide in setting it up correctly