Forum Discussion

ipmanyak
Level 5
10 years ago

Daylight Savings Time ( Winter Time)

Helo.

In Russia in my region till October 26 it  was summer time with the timezone GMT+6 without transition to the winter time. The law was adopted and now there shall be winter time with timezone GMT+5 without transition to the summer time. What problems will be for Symantec Netbackup 7.5.0.6 if I simply manually change a timezone to GMT+5 on OS Windows 2003 ? Time will move for one hour ago. 

• Can't see an issue, I'd stop NBU first personally just to be extra safe.

• Agree with Martin.

All backup in Netbackup is registered by EPOCH time - seconds since 1/1-1970 so any change in time is just offset to the "original" EPOCH time.

The worst than can happen, are backups with the same display time in the transition, but it should be very easy by looking at the EPOCH time to see by the exactly when the backup was made.

• The only thing that will be affected is NetBackup applainces. There will be an EEB that you can obtain though symantec support for that and 2.6.0.4 has this addressed.

Also backup operations are not impacted by changes in time since backups are recorded in EPOCH time (Unix Time)  

• This would affect any GUI using time zone data - that usually means the Java GUI for NetBackup.

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure this process for manually changing "zoneinfo" with tzupdater still works in 7.x:

How to update the Java Runtime Environment within Symantec's Veritas NetBackup (tm) to update Daylight Savings Time date changes (last updated 9/21/2011)
     http://symantec.com/docs/TECH50109

...although this one looks like a procedure for more advanced admins, for sure.

Not totally sure that we will have the latest and greatest tzdata2014g in 7.6.0.4 or not, but I'm guessing not.  (I DO think we're sneaking it into the Appliances 2.6.0.4 release, as Terry said up there.)

For what it's worth, my test box reports tzdata2013i:

# strings /usr/openv/java/jre/lib/zi/ZoneInfoMappings | head -2
    javazm
    tzdata2013i

5 Replies

• Can't see an issue, I'd stop NBU first personally just to be extra safe.

• Agree with Martin.

All backup in Netbackup is registered by EPOCH time - seconds since 1/1-1970 so any change in time is just offset to the "original" EPOCH time.

The worst than can happen, are backups with the same display time in the transition, but it should be very easy by looking at the EPOCH time to see by the exactly when the backup was made.

• The only thing that will be affected is NetBackup applainces. There will be an EEB that you can obtain though symantec support for that and 2.6.0.4 has this addressed.

Also backup operations are not impacted by changes in time since backups are recorded in EPOCH time (Unix Time)  

• This would affect any GUI using time zone data - that usually means the Java GUI for NetBackup.

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure this process for manually changing "zoneinfo" with tzupdater still works in 7.x:

How to update the Java Runtime Environment within Symantec's Veritas NetBackup (tm) to update Daylight Savings Time date changes (last updated 9/21/2011)
     http://symantec.com/docs/TECH50109

...although this one looks like a procedure for more advanced admins, for sure.

Not totally sure that we will have the latest and greatest tzdata2014g in 7.6.0.4 or not, but I'm guessing not.  (I DO think we're sneaking it into the Appliances 2.6.0.4 release, as Terry said up there.)

For what it's worth, my test box reports tzdata2013i:

# strings /usr/openv/java/jre/lib/zi/ZoneInfoMappings | head -2
    javazm
    tzdata2013i