Forum Discussion

CadenL
Level 6
2 years ago

Decommissioning a NetBackup media server

Hi
Using the nbdecomnission command you’d typically include the ‘old server’ and ‘new server’ switches to migrate the media ownership etc. if I just need to decommission an old media server where all existing images have already expired do I just use the nbdecommission command with the name of media server to be decommissioned but without specifying a ‘new server’ switch?

Many thanks in advance
  • Hi

I think you need to provide new as well, but since all backup images did expire - no media DB will be moved to new server, so it is harmless to point new server.

• Hello CadenL

From the nbdecommission command manual, the "-newserver" flag is optional, so you do not have to provide the new server in order to decommission the media server.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdecommission
    old server must be specified using -oldserver
    Usage:
    nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
    [-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-bulk_media_move] [-file <op_dump_file>]]
    [-machinetype media | foreign_media | ndmp | replication_host]
    [-M <master_server>] [-reason "<reason>"] [-v]
    nbdecommission: -migrate_cloudcatalyst
    [-oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type> -cloudbucketname <bucket>]
    [-username <username>] [-password <password>] [-kmskeygroupname <key group name>]
    [-newdv <disk volume>] [-newdp <disk pool>] [-dryrun] [-start_with "<start with phrase from previous attempt>"]
    nbdecommission: -delete_cloudcatalyst -oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type>

Best regards

2 Replies

• Hi

I think you need to provide new as well, but since all backup images did expire - no media DB will be moved to new server, so it is harmless to point new server.

• Hello CadenL

From the nbdecommission command manual, the "-newserver" flag is optional, so you do not have to provide the new server in order to decommission the media server.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdecommission
    old server must be specified using -oldserver
    Usage:
    nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
    [-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-bulk_media_move] [-file <op_dump_file>]]
    [-machinetype media | foreign_media | ndmp | replication_host]
    [-M <master_server>] [-reason "<reason>"] [-v]
    nbdecommission: -migrate_cloudcatalyst
    [-oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type> -cloudbucketname <bucket>]
    [-username <username>] [-password <password>] [-kmskeygroupname <key group name>]
    [-newdv <disk volume>] [-newdp <disk pool>] [-dryrun] [-start_with "<start with phrase from previous attempt>"]
    nbdecommission: -delete_cloudcatalyst -oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type>

Best regards