Forum Discussion

PNabski1
Level 3
4 years ago

Deleting unwanted backup images from an active tape.

Good Morning,

We have large amounts of unwanted backup images on tape that a customer has informed us we no longer need to keep.

On an "Active" tape in the library is it is possible to delete the unwanted images. If so would Netbackup then be able to write to the space previously occupied any deleted unwanted image/s.

Kindest Regards

Peter Nabialek

• Hi PNabski1 

If you want to determine what backups are on a tape you can do this a number of ways. 

Through the GUI in the catalog section is one way, although myself I prefer to use the command line.

To read the actual tape the "bpmedialist -mcontents -m XXXXXX" command will display all the backup images on a tape. You can then use this to expire those images to "empty" the tape ("bpexpdate -d 0 -force -backupid <BackupID>"). 

An alternate that just looks at the catalog is the "bpimmedia -mediaid XXXXXX" command which should provide the same information.

Once you have expired all the images from tape, the tape should in a short time become unassigned, but you can quicken this process by using the command "bpexpdate -deassignempty -m XXXXXX".

Now if you have multiple copies of backups or SLP's in use, then things can be more complicated (if multiple copies you may need to specify the copy number to avoid deleting a different copy of the backup). 

Have fun
    David

• Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for that info , made a note of it in case I come across the situation.

Kindest Regards

Pete

8 Replies

PNabski1
      Level 3

Hi Nicolai,

Many thanks for the prompt answer it is very much appreciated. I suspected this might be the case but confirmation from an experienced  Netbackup person seals the deal. Big big thanks.

Kind Regards

Pete  ( a Netbackup novice )

davidmoline
        Level 6

Hi PNabski1 

Adding to Nicolai's answer - the images on tape will not be deleted until the tape is next overwritten. The bpexpdate command will remove the backup image information from the NetBackup catalog, but will not touch the tape (directly)

This means that while the tape is still active it will be possible to recover the backup information from tape by performing and import (this may be important to your customer if they are expecting the bpexpdate command to completely remove the data so that it is irrecoverable). 

David