Forum Discussion

rsakimoto
Level 5
9 years ago

Drive Path keeps on getting down

Hi, One of our tape drive just recently replaced. After it was replaced, I re-scanned / re-add to introduce its new serial number. I had to delete first the old tape drive via admin console. I did...
    9 years ago

I've never tested the fact that NBU may following the drive even if they are swapped round.

Until today, and my testing shows that it doesn't seem to ...  Excuse the odd serial numbers, it's a VTL.

From changer in scan

Drive 1 Serial Number      : "XYZZY_C1"
    Drive 2 Serial Number      : "XYZZY_C2"

From tpconfig -dl

Drive Name              IBM.ULT3580-TD4.001
            Index                   3
            NonRewindDrivePath      /dev/nst5
            TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=1              (this is wrong, the drive is actually in 'physical' position 2)
            Serial Number           XYZZY_C2

Drive Name              IBM.ULT3580-TD4.002
            Index                   5
            NonRewindDrivePath      /dev/nst1
            TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=2  (this is wrong, the drive is actually in 'physical' position 1)
            Serial Number           XYZZY_C1

So here, we can see my drives in NBU config are 'swapped' round with what the robot reports.

I restarted ltid and ran a job:

Job details shows

02/16/2016 03:32:04 - granted resource  E03004
    02/16/2016 03:32:04 - granted resource  IBM.ULT3580-TD4.001   (This in position 2 in the library, but NBU thinks it is in position 1)

From robtest we see the tape was loaded into the drive in position 1

drive 1 (addr 1) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = yes
    Source address = 1027 (slot 4)
    Barcode = E03004L4

vmoprcmd shows the drive in /dev/nst1 

IBM.ULT3580-TD4.001      No      No                     No        hcart
        nbmaster2                  /dev/nst5                            ACTIVE

IBM.ULT3580-TD4.002      Yes     Yes    E03004          Yes       hcart
        nbmaster2                  /dev/nst1                            TLD

The job hangs as the tape never mounts, we see in bptm we're access the wrong drive.

03:32:06.049 [23119] <4> create_tpreq_file: symlink to path /dev/nst5   <<<<<< WRONG, tape is in drive with path /dev/nst1
    03:32:06.088 [23119] <2> manage_drive_before_load: SCSI RESERVE
    03:32:06.090 [23119] <2> manage_drive_before_load: report_attr, fl1 0x00000001, fl2 0x00000000
    03:32:06.090 [23119] <4> expandpath: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tpreq/drive_IBM.ULT3580-TD4.001
    03:32:06.172 [23119] <2> tapelib: wait_for_ltid, Mount, timeout 0

(NOTE the reason the tape is found in the correct drive in vmoprcmd output is because NBU continuously scans the drive and will identify any tape that it inserted into a drive, provisding it has a NBU media header)

(Editted to add:   Job eventually failed with Robot load error.  Reconfigured drives so they were in sync with the robot drive positions and same job ran successfully).

Suggest you delete and reconfig drives.

9 years ago

Hi,

Martin's isolation is somehow what I did. I found out an incorrect Robot drive number assignment. Viewing on the gui-admin console\devices\drives VS on the Tape Library console Tape drive number and serial number. Cause the serial number does not match. Ex. Two tape drives on the gui mismatched VS on the Tape Library. The robot drive number 1's serial number on the gui does not match the serial number assigned on the Tape Library. Two drives were affected. I just change the drive number on the gui\devices\drives for the affected drives. Then restarted services. Then my duplication jobs going smooth again. Drive paths do not go down as before.

Thanks and Regards