Forum Discussion

sdo
10 years ago

Duplication, performance of "bpdm.exe"...

Env: NetBackup v7.6.0.1 on RHEL 6.4.  Master/media server (single node).  Fairly new build, about 3 weeks old.

Issue: Duplication to tape (over FC) from MSDP disk pool (itself on SAN/FC storage) seems slow.

One small MSDP disk pool of c. 10TB, which has several weeks of backups now within it, and is about 55% occupied.  Currently duplicating a set of full backups (circa 300 backup images, totalling about 7TB of backup data) via two 'bpduplicate' commands.  The backups being duplicated, are the first set of full backups ever ingested by this environment).

No other backups, replications or duplications are running.

No legacy log folders exist.  VxUL logging was the typical usual default of Debug=1 and Diagnostic=6.

Nothing scary seen in /var/log/messages.

I'm seeing about 50 MB/s to each of two tape drives.

Also seeing two "bpdm.exe" processes regularly hitting 99%/100% of CPU, and a total of 25% of machine CPU used.  RHEL reports server has 8 CPU cores.

NetBackup KMS is configured, and the duplications are writing to an "ENCR_" volume pool for KMS.

NetBackup application daemons were restarted recently (a few days ago).

ulimit and semaphores checked and are ok.

CPU(s) appears to be...  two physical CPU, each quad core, each single thread.

[user@server ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep "MHz|physical id|core id|^$"
cpu MHz         : 1200.000
physical id     : 0
core id         : 0

cpu MHz         : 1800.000
core id         : 1

core id         : 2

core id         : 3

physical id     : 1
core id         : 0

core id         : 1

core id         : 2

core id         : 3

(I think the CPUs must be 1.2 GHz with boost to 1.8GHz, because, for each CPU two cores show at 1.2 GHz, and two cores show at 1.8 GHz).

I wasn't involved in the environment sizing, design, build or implementation - so I've no idea (yet) what the server tin actually is.

I suspect that the fact that each "bpdm.exe" maxes out a CPU core is causing the limitation of each duplication to tape to run at around 50MB/s.

I would have expected "bpdm.exe" to simply be a data mover, receiving data from spoold, and forwarding to bptm, and I wouldn't have expected to see each process consuming 100% of a CPU core.

Can anyone offer any reason as to why bpdm maxes out a CPU core?

Thanks in advance.

• As a real simple test, backup some data to a basic disk STU, then duplicate that, how fast is it ?

• 1: We had a in-house Linux admin to look at our setup. And this was his advice

2: You can see if hyper-threading is enabled in the BIOS. You enable/disable in BIOS as well.

Regarding the use of swap space set 

vm.swappiness = 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf

Explained here : https://lonesysadmin.net/2013/12/11/adjust-vm-swappiness-avoid-unneeded-disk-io/

• I would increase NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS to 128 or 256

MSDP encryption is documented in the deduplication guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6466

Page 34. As I read it, its Netbackup that does the encryption/decryption. But Netbackup may very well uses library call to other modules in the OS. The manual say "Deduplication uses the Blowfish algorithm for encryption"

• strace can do it - but you need kernel skills in decoding the output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strace

15 Replies